Author Topic: It's ALPHA brew day...my first batch!  (Read 24018 times)

Offline gwapogorilla

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: It's ALPHA brew day...my first batch!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
Your local brew supplier should have a attachment to keep your syphon just above the trube. Tilting the bucket towards the syphon tube should get most of the beer out without ant trube.

Is this the unit you are referring to?
http://www.amazon.com/CLAMP-for-Regular-Auto-Siphon/dp/B0064OJRUA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1361742932&sr=8-6&keywords=auto+siphon

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 04:00:04 AM »
The siphon actually does have a cap on it to aid in filtering trub out...but it didn't do so well. Maybe I'll try Maines trick...or maybe get one of those metal coffee filters to assist next time.

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
or maybe get one of those metal coffee filters to assist next time.

I wouldn't.  There's no need. That and filters can clog or allow air to enter the mix adding oxygen which is bad.

Just tilt it a bit and keep the siphon in one spot at the low point. You'll siphon out some sludge, but it will fall right out in the secondary anyway.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
Also, hold the siphon a few inches below the surface. Then just follow the beer down as it drains. Then you can just stop before you reach the sludge.
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 04:41:30 PM »
Also, hold the siphon a few inches below the surface. Then just follow the beer down as it drains. Then you can just stop before you reach the sludge.
I never thought about that one Tom. I would have to scoop off the thick kraeusen...had about 2 inches of that on top.

These tips aren't going to waste guys. I am taking notes and storing things in the hair covered(somewhat) computer.

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
I would have to scoop off the thick kraeusen...had about 2 inches of that on top.

It wasn't ready. Don't worry, you didn't ruin it. Next time wait for the kraeusen to fall out before you rack it. The yeast doesn't follow the schedule on a piece of paper. That's just a guideline.  I've had ales that were ready to rack in four days, and others took two weeks.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:47:53 PM »
I would have to scoop off the thick kraeusen...had about 2 inches of that on top.

It wasn't ready. Don't worry, you didn't ruin it. Next time wait for the kraeusen to fall out before you rack it. The yeast doesn't follow the schedule on a piece of paper. That's just a guideline.  I've had ales that were ready to rack in four days, and others took two weeks.
So, THAT'S why some folks use a carboy for the primary! :o ARGH! My wife is gonna kill me when I drag one of those home!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:25:56 PM by gwapogorilla »

Offline ihikeut

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 07:30:05 PM »
That is the exact clamp I'm referring to.

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »
That is the exact clamp I'm referring to.
Thanks...pictures help. Speaking of pictures...this is what I am seeing here at home.
As you can see, I am NOT looking at a full carboy. I did a full boil, but I think the beersmith didn't have the calculations for trub loss and stuff. Does the volume look Okay to you guys? I know it seems dark too, I think it's because of the wheat DME and the 1 lb. of flaked wheat I steeped. I also noticed there is already 1" of trub, and it has only been 2 days since I racked...all on account of not knowing what I am doing
You know, when they advertise the beer making kits, they make it sound as simple as mixing kool-aid. But I am finding out there is a little more to it than that.
But with that being said, I think I'll have plenty of yeast to try my hands at the "yeast washing" thing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:27:44 PM by gwapogorilla »

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 06:33:33 AM »
Well, it's been 1 week since racing the beer to the secondary...and I finally took a peak at it. Um, it hasn't changed much at all. The krauesen has settled off of the top, but other than that, it looks almost EXACTLY the same. The thermometer on the side still says 63*...just like in the photo. The Belgian Wit yeast I used said it will be active in a range of 62*-75*, but I am wondering if it still may be too low.

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 04:11:33 AM »
Okay, I put a milk crate under the carboy yesterday, moving it as carefully as I could. I think it may have helped a little. The temp is at 64*, creeping towards 65* and there is a small amount of activity in the airlock now...yesterday there was none. I am getting 1 bubble every 90 seconds. This leads me to believe my suspicions of a cold carboy were correct.
I am thinking about getting a electric heat pad to set it on, in hopes of keeping the temp near 70*.
Thinking of using a heat pad like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Conair-HP01RBRR-Moist-Heating-Pad/dp/B000F54AOW/ref=sr_1_9?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1362396999&sr=1-9&keywords=heat+pad

in conjunction with a timer like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-DT620-Indoor-Digital-Plug-In/dp/B004TGO6RY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1362396722&sr=8-10&keywords=outlet+timer

I am thinking if I program it to turn on for an 1/2 hour then off for a few, it may be enough to get my carboy near 70*.
Anyone still following the thread have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:48:26 AM by gwapogorilla »

Offline ihikeut

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 06:31:59 AM »
I would use a sterile wine thief,  or large straw and remove a sample and test the gravity. Check it again in two day, if it close to the same gravity, start lowering the temp to see if it starts to clears. Make sure that you sterilize the top of the carboy and any thing the contacts the beer. 

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
Your temperatures are fine. Patience.

Offline Curly55

• West Sound Brewers
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
Your temps are less crucial at the end of your aging/fermentation. If anything once you get it into the secondary colder is better it helps the yeast drop out. And I agree with MH... Patience.
1 Timothy 5:23

Offline gwapogorilla

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 05:22:38 PM »
I understand what your both saying...but remember I racked a little too early, so some residual fermentation was needed(I think :-\)
Also, hoping to start my second batch this weekend. So if temp is a little low in my closet, I want to get it corrected. Plus I'll be needing that carboy in a few weeks too. ;D

modification