• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

new burner

happy hillbilly

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Ole Happy here. I got me one of them Bayou Classic burners a few days ago. Today I tried it out. just about the time for boil to start I ran out of gas. so I had to go out n git some more. Well I got back home n boiled my batch of brown ale n got done n started to clean up when I saw that I had only bout half a tank of propane left! Is it normal to use a half tank of propane (20 lb tank) or did I do somethin wrong? I boiled for an hour on the new tank and didn't think I boiled it any harder of a boil than usual. Does everybody use that much gas for a boil with one of these burners? thanks n happy brewin.

A 20# tank should hold just over 4 lbs of propane.  Someone else here may be able to answer just how many brews you can get from a tank.  I can only speak from grilling with propane and wondered why the tank I bought with a new grill seemed to empty so fast. 

I since refilled that tank with 4.02 lbs of propane and the guy refilling it told me when you do exchange with your empties they are often only 65% full.  Of course this is heresay, but you might want to weigh your tank before and after.

Edited:  Oops, should hold just over 4 Gal of propane. I ended up filling with 4.02 gal. per my bill.

I found out you need to watch the re-fillers. The tank has a dry weight on it. As far as I know you are supposed to get 20# over this. I once got some tanks refilled and they were only half filled. I could tell by lifting them. You may have gotten a tank that wasn't filled.

I tried out my new Blichmann burner today. I live in Chicago and it was windy and in the low 30's. Heating times were well above Blichmann advertised. I was disappointed. So later this afternoon I brought the burner in the garage (left the door partially open) and was happy to get close or better heating times than advertised:

(5 gal. in my keggle)

60 - 160 = 12 minutes (10 advertised)
68 - boil = 19 minutes (22 advertised)
168 - boil = 6 minutes (7 advertised)

Mike

I have brewed more than a few on one full tank,...there is an issue some place.  Sorry to hear that.

I don't know if you exchange your tank or just had it refilled. I exchange my tank every two or three years due to rust on the outside of the tank. The exchange tanks are always light on propane.

I've had two burners. One went through a lot more gas than the other.

Either way, I always have two tanks. That way if I run out in the middle of a batch of beer I raid the gas grill, and if the gas grill runs out in the middle of cooking dinner I use the spare.

Detmurds said:
I usually always have two spares on the RV.
I've had in 2011 few burners. What i want to say is that all of these burners went through a lot more gas.

From 2011, i always use only one burner!

If I get the air gas mix rite, I can get around 4 five gal. batches, this is in my carriage house so wind is not an issue.

Here in California, all the exchange tank places use 4 gallons of propane.  I get mine filled at a local gas station for about $17.50 for 5 gallons (versus $20 or more for the exchanges).  I always get three full brew days out of a tank.  Occasionally, I get four brews. 

I brew 5 gallon batches so I am heating 6.5-7 gallons of wort.  10 gallon batches take more propane.  I have two tanks.  One on the BBQ and one for brewing.  If I run out while brewing, I had the BBQ backup.

Cheers!

ole Happy here again. Thanks for all the help on this.After i posted this the next day I brewed another batch up and played around with the air valve. I found the "sweet spot" and used WAY less gas. Also I should state that the first day I brewed 8 gallons and the second day I brewed 13 on half as much gas so I guess not gettin the air right makes a hugh difference. Still that is one ell of a burner if ya ask me! Happy brewin ya'll

happy hillbilly said:
ole Happy here again. Thanks for all the help on this.After i posted this the next day I brewed another batch up and played around with the air valve. I found the "sweet spot" and used WAY less gas. Also I should state that the first day I brewed 8 gallons and the second day I brewed 13 on half as much gas so I guess not gettin the air right makes a hugh difference. Still that is one ell of a burner if ya ask me! Happy brewin ya'll

I gauge by the color of the flame.  I want it all blue and no yellow or orange. 

I've been getting about 4 or slightly more batches out of one tank of propane using a turkey fryer from home depot.  5 gallon system.  I keep two tanks handy at all time but keep using one until it runs out, then get it refilled before the next brew session.  This way I know I won't run out of gas.

I see from the replies you adjusted the settings.  That's good.  No reason that a standard tank of propane won't make multiple batches.

I won't mention any names ... but BlueRhino is a ripoff! I tried to get around having to buy new propane tanks, but it didn't take me long to realize that the empty tanks I was exchanging at Depot were less than full.

MikeinRH said:
I won't mention any names ... but BlueRhino is a ripoff! I tried to get around having to buy new propane tanks, but it didn't take me long to realize that the empty tanks I was exchanging at Depot were less than full.

There was a guy at the local tool rental place that would fill my tanks till the overfill valve acuated. But now he doesn't work there anymore. :(

mbg-bs said:
MikeinRH said:

There was a guy at the local tool rental place that would fill my tanks till the overfill valve acuated. But now he doesn't work there anymore. :(

Most welding supply shops fill tanks this way if you have a local shop they are always better than most of the big retail stops. I must be real lucky the one I go to here in my town has a fill 10 and get the 11th free :) @ 14.00 per fill up this has been my best find.

Back