Author Topic: new burner  (Read 7475 times)

Offline happy hillbilly

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • drunk agin but still purty
new burner
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Ole Happy here. I got me one of them Bayou Classic burners a few days ago. Today I tried it out. just about the time for boil to start I ran out of gas. so I had to go out n git some more. Well I got back home n boiled my batch of brown ale n got done n started to clean up when I saw that I had only bout half a tank of propane left! Is it normal to use a half tank of propane (20 lb tank) or did I do somethin wrong? I boiled for an hour on the new tank and didn't think I boiled it any harder of a boil than usual. Does everybody use that much gas for a boil with one of these burners? thanks n happy brewin.

Offline texasdan

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: new burner
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »
A 20# tank should hold just over 4 lbs of propane.  Someone else here may be able to answer just how many brews you can get from a tank.  I can only speak from grilling with propane and wondered why the tank I bought with a new grill seemed to empty so fast. 

I since refilled that tank with 4.02 lbs of propane and the guy refilling it told me when you do exchange with your empties they are often only 65% full.  Of course this is heresay, but you might want to weigh your tank before and after.

Edited:  Oops, should hold just over 4 Gal of propane. I ended up filling with 4.02 gal. per my bill.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:51:20 PM by texasdan »
Next Up: 
Fermenting: None
Lagering:     
Conditioning: #46-Special Helles
Drinking:       #45-Klosterbier, #44-Honey Ginger Lager, #43-Oktoberfest, #42-Festbier, #40 Ayinger Style Jahrhundertbier Hell, #41-Klosterbier

Offline mbg-bs

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
I found out you need to watch the re-fillers. The tank has a dry weight on it. As far as I know you are supposed to get 20# over this. I once got some tanks refilled and they were only half filled. I could tell by lifting them. You may have gotten a tank that wasn't filled.

I tried out my new Blichmann burner today. I live in Chicago and it was windy and in the low 30's. Heating times were well above Blichmann advertised. I was disappointed. So later this afternoon I brought the burner in the garage (left the door partially open) and was happy to get close or better heating times than advertised:

(5 gal. in my keggle)

60 - 160 = 12 minutes (10 advertised)
68 - boil = 19 minutes (22 advertised)
168 - boil = 6 minutes (7 advertised)

Mike

Offline Detmurds

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Hoppy to meet you all!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »
I have brewed more than a few on one full tank,...there is an issue some place.  Sorry to hear that.
My goal is to become a better brewer!

Offline ihikeut

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »
I don't know if you exchange your tank or just had it refilled. I exchange my tank every two or three years due to rust on the outside of the tank. The exchange tanks are always light on propane.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:07:40 AM by ihikeut »

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
I've had two burners. One went through a lot more gas than the other.

Either way, I always have two tanks. That way if I run out in the middle of a batch of beer I raid the gas grill, and if the gas grill runs out in the middle of cooking dinner I use the spare.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Detmurds

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Hoppy to meet you all!
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
I usually always have two spares on the RV. 

Offline louishannz

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
I usually always have two spares on the RV.
I've had in 2011 few burners. What i want to say is that all of these burners went through a lot more gas.

From 2011, i always use only one burner!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 02:45:40 PM by louishannz »
In 2013 are you still searching for the Best Cabernet Sauvinon Wines?

Offline Detmurds

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Hoppy to meet you all!
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »
Correction on my part: I have two spare tanks of propane on my RV. 8)

Offline mjaadland

• Carriage House Brewing
  • BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »
If I get the air gas mix rite, I can get around 4 five gal. batches, this is in my carriage house so wind is not an issue.
On tap: Carriage House Wit
Keged: Carriage House Dry Stout
Bottled: Carriage House Belgium Abby   
Bottled: Carriage House IPA
Bottled: Carriage House Blask Cherry Belgium
Primary#1: Carriage House Hefeweizen
Primary#2: Carriage House Red Ale
Primary#3: Carriage House Fest

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »
Here in California, all the exchange tank places use 4 gallons of propane.  I get mine filled at a local gas station for about $17.50 for 5 gallons (versus $20 or more for the exchanges).  I always get three full brew days out of a tank.  Occasionally, I get four brews. 

I brew 5 gallon batches so I am heating 6.5-7 gallons of wort.  10 gallon batches take more propane.   I have two tanks.  One on the BBQ and one for brewing.  If I run out while brewing, I had the BBQ backup.

Cheers!

Offline happy hillbilly

• drunk agin but still purty
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
ole Happy here again. Thanks for all the help on this.After i posted this the next day I brewed another batch up and played around with the air valve. I found the "sweet spot" and used WAY less gas. Also I should state that the first day I brewed 8 gallons and the second day I brewed 13 on half as much gas so I guess not gettin the air right makes a hugh difference. Still that is one ell of a burner if ya ask me! Happy brewin ya'll

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »
ole Happy here again. Thanks for all the help on this.After i posted this the next day I brewed another batch up and played around with the air valve. I found the "sweet spot" and used WAY less gas. Also I should state that the first day I brewed 8 gallons and the second day I brewed 13 on half as much gas so I guess not gettin the air right makes a hugh difference. Still that is one ell of a burner if ya ask me! Happy brewin ya'll

I gauge by the color of the flame.  I want it all blue and no yellow or orange. 

Offline piper55

• stonewoods brewery
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »
dont forget to check for leaks with a little dishwashing liquid and water

Offline alcaponejunior

• Having a homebrewed IPA
  • Up next: ESB
    • Beer And Stuff
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »
I've been getting about 4 or slightly more batches out of one tank of propane using a turkey fryer from home depot.  5 gallon system.  I keep two tanks handy at all time but keep using one until it runs out, then get it refilled before the next brew session.  This way I know I won't run out of gas.

I see from the replies you adjusted the settings.  That's good.  No reason that a standard tank of propane won't make multiple batches.