• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do I move all my recipes and ingredients to a new computer?

cookiedds

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just installed Beersmith 2 on a new MacBook Pro and want to move all my recipes and ingredients from my old windows computer to this new one.  How would I go about importing the recipes and my custom ingredient lists from my old PC?

Check out the FAQ http://beersmith.com/faq/

This is driving me  a little crazy.

I have come across several different advisements on how to do this.
I bought a new computer because my old one was running Vista and it was time to upgrade.  I've installed BS on the new Windows 8 computer. I'm trying to bring my recipes over. I really don't want to cloud my recipes right now.
I've copied the documents/BeerSmith2 file folder to the new computer, but when BS2 opens, My Recipes only contains BS examples - not my own recipes.  I also notice that  when I look in the /BeerSmith2 folder my own recipes are stored as Recipe, Recipe1,...Recipe5 yet seem to all carry the same recipes.  What????

Chris

My Equipment profile didn't make it over either....

It's as if BS2 isn't really looking at the document file at all.

Chris

The way to accomplish the move is to first install BeerSmith on the new computer, then start it and enter your registration key. The key is Help > Registration. It's the same as the key on your previous computer. Then, close BeerSmith.

AFTER you've entered the registration key, copy the Documents/BeerSmith2 folder and use it to REPLACE the Documents/BeerSmith2 folder on the destination computer.

When you reopen BeerSmith, you should see the My Recipes tab and your recipes organized as before.

That's exactly what I did.
The files are there. I can open them myself.
But BS doesn't.

Hi,
  You can transfer your installation over to a new computer.

If you have BeerSmith2, make a backup copy of your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.

Next check the Help->Activate command to get your registration key, then download
and install the new copy on your new computer.  After you've run it and used your key to activate
it you can (if desired) move your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory over to the new computer
which will carry over your recipes and other data.

When you are done with the old computer and have your data saved, you can then uninstall it from the old one.
OR other common approaches : https://docsbay.net/how-to-transfer-data-from-an-old-pc-to-a-new-pc

Back