• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation question

GoodBeer

Apprentice
Reaction score
So not being a very experienced brewer and being the first time for several things I have questions.  First off I ferment in a refrigerator and I use a Johnson controller. First time using a Yeast Starter, first time using Wyeast 1098, first time using a temperature prob and thermowell that is in the fermenter and the first time using a FermWrap heater.

Everything went together pretty well except I cooled my wort to much 65°F, 1.066 OG.  I used an oxygen tank and stone to introduce oxygen to the wort, added  the 900mL of yeast starter, wrapped the heater around the carboy and inserted the temperature prob and set the controller at 67°.

The next morning 16 hrs later my wort was in a state of High Krausen, 32 hours later high krausen had slowed 2 days later it slowed down a lot.  I took a hydrometer reading of 1.020, one day later and my airlock has dropped.  I haven't taken another reading yet but man that seemed fast, 5pm tonight it will be 7 days.

So does that seem normal?  I don't remember my other batches working out that fast.

Hi, that's the way it should be.  95% of my brews are done in 4-6 days.  Exceptions are lagers or higher gravity beers.  My 1.080 old ale took about 13 days.  A fellow homebrewers Saison was attenuated out in 2-3 days.

Mark

Yup. That is the benefit of pitching a proper amount of HEALTHY yeast, oxygenating, and controlling the fermentationtemp. Nice work. It will also taste awesome! 

By the way, starting 2 -  4 degrees low is spot on. No worries with the 65 pitching temp.

The last few gravity points will drop without much airlock activity.

I just had a Brown Ale that I fermented with WLP005 yeast that I started a little cool (66*F) and let it rise to 68*F over 2 days and it was done.  Dropped from and OG of 1.063 to 1.020.  I agree, pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast is obviously key.

Back