• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Raising Alcohol

R

Rushman

Which part of the Recp. will increase it the most?
Malt Extract
Spray Dried Malt
Grain

I understand what I have read about it, but I think it is adding SDM, that gives it the most extra.

Thanks

They will increase the OG and in turn increase the ABV.

Some LME and DME are more fermentable than others.  I brew all grain and have not used LME or DME for so long that I cannet tell what ones are good.

To much home brew I am loosing my memory :D

Don

Don...Without having to go into alot of detail, why do you prefer the all grain?

Don hasn't replied yet, but I can tell you why I like AG....the control of the finished product.  Most of all   the  AROMAS and the good company I have when I brew.

I tend to brew really big brews (when I have one, believe me, that is all you need!!)

You really need the control IMHO to brew a monster.

And there is a certain satisfaction I get from having done it from "scratch"

Fred

Well Stand Back!!!...I am going to go after that " Big Brew" This weekend myself. Going to try an all grain. I just cracked open a 40 oz that I bottled 9 days ago. I'm on my second Mug and my tounge is starting to get alittle numb. Not that it has that high alcohol, but I like the hops!! 5.16% is what I calulated with OG and FG. In a few more months I probably will not buy anymore store bought beer, unless on a trip or out of my brew.  

Back