Author Topic: Yeast Starter Question  (Read 4580 times)

Offline JimForbes

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Yeast Starter Question
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:45 AM »
I have been reading with interest the blog "Making a Yeast Starter for your Beer".  Not sure this is the correct place for this question, but hopefully it is or someone can direct me to where I should post it:)

When making a yeast starter, for say 15gal beer do need to start with 3 packs of yeast or can I use 1 pack and make up the correct volume of yeast starter from that single package.  Note when I make my larger batches they go into separate 5gal fermenters as unfortunately I don't have a single that size yet :(

Cheers
Jim

Offline Humble Brewer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • http://bgospelm.tumblr.com/
Re: Yeast Starter Question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
You can start with one yeast package just use step starters.  One yeast package to make an initial starter, then rinse and bump to a larger starter, repeat until you have enough yeast to do 15 gallons.
Pastor and Brewer!
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

Offline philm63

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Agis Quod Adis!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »
Either way you choose, stepped starter or multiple vials, it is important to remember that just like your final brew; yeast starters have their preferred pitching rates, too.

If you were, say; brewing a 15-gallon batch with an OG of 1.060, popular yeast calculators will tell you that you'll need a little more than 600 Billion cells. 3 healthy vials by themselves are only going to get you part of the way there.

You'd typically start with a vial in a liter or so of wort, ferment, crash, decant, and put the slurry into about 3 liters or so of fresh wort and ferment again. Assuming a stir plate was used for both of these steps, and the viability was in the high 80's, you'd end up with just over 600 Billion cells - just about right for your 15 gallons of 1.060 wort.

I highly recommend the book "Yeast" by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff - this book really opened my eyes to the fermentation process and will spell it all out nicely for you.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:44:44 AM by philm63 »
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout, IPA
Fermenting: Air
On Deck: Kolsch

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
Either way you choose, stepped starter or multiple vials, it is important to remember that just like your final brew; yeast starters have their preferred pitching rates, too.

If you were, say; brewing a 15-gallon batch with an OG of 1.060, popular yeast calculators will tell you you'll need a little more than 600 Billion cells. 3 healthy vials by themselves are only going to get you part of the way there.

You'd typically start with a vial in a liter or so of wort, ferment, crash, decant, and put the slurry into about 3 liters or so of fresh wort and ferment again. Assuming a stir plate was used for both of these steps, and the viability was in the high 80's, you'd end up with just over 600 Billion cells - just about right for your 15 gallons of 1.060 wort.

I highly recommend the book "Yeast" by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff - this book really opened my eyes to the fermentation process and will spell it all out nicely for you.

+1

Exactly, right.
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline Skippy

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • I like Beer!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:42:15 PM by Skippy »

Offline durrettd

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
Here's a multi-step starter calculator I use a lot for old vials of yeast. Go to http://yeastcalc.com/

Offline merfizle

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »
Here's a multi-step starter calculator I use a lot for old vials of yeast. Go to http://yeastcalc.com/

I use this as well.  The only think I'm unsure of is if the production date is the same as harvest date?  3 month old yeast that was harvested/fed is more viable/healthy than a 3 month old smack pack. 

Mark
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

modification