• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Very Small Batch" Boil Time Question

TeeSquar

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm doing a small experimental batch and using a vacant Mr. Beer keg so it should be around 2.13 gallons. It will be a partial mash and I found an equipment profile to use. The thing is it was mentioned that they would only do a 30 minute boil. Is 30 minutes long enough? My 5 gallon batches go the full 60. Is the 30 minutes due to the smaller size and boil off?

Thanks in advance.

Depends.  Technically, you only NEED to boil for 10-15 minutes or so to sanitize the wort and get a decent hot-break.  Most everything beyond that is by choice.

The exception to that is a recipe made with pilsener, or 2-row raw malt.  Those need to be boiled for 90 minutes to remove SMM/DMS from the wort. 

Assuming you are using pale malts or extracts, then the only driving factor in boil length is your hop bill.  So, if your doing all late additions, you can boil for a minimum amount of time.

Thanks Tom. I may just try going the 30 minutes as I'm also planning on trying out late hopping this batch.

Back