• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

48Qt. Igloo Cube Mash Tun - Sparge Manifold In Lid Question

mbg

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've been away from brewing for almost three years now. I just completed a huge great room conversion re-modeling project. So I'm ready to relax a little and brew once again. I started up by loading up with the latest software for my computer and iPad.

I have the subject mash tun and would like to add a manifold to the lid so I can fly sparge. I have seen a few designs with a google search but was wondering how to control the sparge flow. Do you add a level gauge somehow or peek inside. I would rather not lift the big lid to peek but my cooler also has a small storage compartment on top with lid that I could take advantage of.

Just looking for some ideas (I would love to see some pictures too).

Here is a pic of my mash tun and BarleyCrusher:

IMG_0737_1_1.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

I was a long-time fly sparging hold out, but I went to batch sparging and there was no difference in the final product.  'Just curious why you're still doing it. All the issue you mention would go away if you batch sparge.

on our big (45g) system, we still fly sparge, though. We control the sparge with a ball lock on the HLT. And we, likewise, control the runoff with a ball lock on the MLT. It's a dance trying to get them balance out.

if you don't want to look inside, then there's always the choice of using a float valve.  That's the thing about fly sparging- all that extra equipment.

bperetto said:
I was a long-time fly sparging hold out, but I went to batch sparging and there was no difference in the final product.  'Just curious why you're still doing it. All the issue you mention would go away if you batch sparge.

on our big (45g) system, we still fly sparge, though. We control the sparge with a ball lock on the HLT. And we, likewise, control the runoff with a ball lock on the MLT. It's a dance trying to get them balance out.

if you don't want to look inside, then there's always the choice of using a float valve.  That's the thing about fly sparging- all that extra equipment.

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I should leave well enough alone - my efficiencies are decent with batch sparging. I just read the efficiency could improve with fly sparging.

Mike

Back