• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

90 minute Boil Pre-Boil Gravity/ 60 minute hops

cheski3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm doing a doppelbock TODAY, and my boil time is 90 minutes.  Pre-Boil gravity is estimated at 1.059, OG estimated at 1.085.  I have a 60 minute hop addition, but at what gravity should I add them?  The preboil gravity does not change whether I adjust the boil time to 90 or 60 minutes.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?  If it's posted in another thread, can someone direct me?

Well, I guess today's batches aren't that big of a deal.  I'm converting the doppelbock recipe from all-grain to extract and the extract recipe is a 60 minute boil.  Preboil gravity on that is 1.079, so I'm gonna start the bittering clock when I reach that.

But gravity does have an effect on hop utilization.  If my gravity isn't where I want it when I toss in my hops, the IBU's won't be what I was targeting.

ON a 90 minute boil for a Dopplebock, you are caramelizing some sugars and darkening the wort.  There are a few other important chemical reactions having to do with off flavors.  The hop additions are not based on the gravity at that time.  They are scheduled to isomerize a certain amount and provide a certain bitterness.  While the gravity has some affect on the rate of isomerization, it will not be measurable. 

You conversion to extract and reduced boil time does not change you hop addition times.  Hops should be added to match the estimated IBUs for that addition.  You will change the amount of 60 minute hops to achieve the target IBU but still add them at 60 minutes. 

I have no idea if BeerSmith considers increasing gravity throughout the boil - maybe it's based on the boil-off specified in your equipment profile. It may just be an average or a fudge factor. Andy, at Rooftop Brew, has a calculator and formulas for both Raeger and Tinseth, both using "Original Gravity" for the gravity. It might add to your peace of mind to play with his calculations and compare them to BS.

I use Tinseth in BS; when I used Andy's Tinseth calculator for a BS recipe it calculated I would get 27.4 versus 26.7 in BS. Andy's Raeger calculator returned 26.7 - exactly the same as BS' Tinseth calculation.

I'm pretty sure I can't tell the difference in 27.4 IBUs and 26.7. There are lots of other moving parts in home brewing that probably have more effect on utilization, such as: pH changes, vigor of the boil, whether the hops are in a bag or loose in the boil, etc. The bottom line seems to be whether or not the beer tastes the way you want it to. Have a home brew and watch the pretty bubbles.

Dan

Back