• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profile Gone

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Not sure what happened.  Opened BS2 today and my equipment profile was gone.  It didn't take me long to rebuild it by using a recent recipe and selecting to edit the profle from within.

My question is two fold

1) Any idea what might have happened
2) What is the best way to backup profiles and recipies

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

Well, not sure if it's related or not...  Later in the evening while playing with some recipes, I noticed one of them was now showing 110 gal batch and in the mash tab, all the volumes were now showing in ounces.  I opend up the equipment profile and it was OK, seemed to just be the recipe.

Thoughts?
Toy4Rick

Now I know something is up.  Just opened a recipe that I just bottled and all the values against the style are all well below the ranges.  I copied the recipe and it's fine, close everything up, restart and all is OK, except for the original recipe so I copied my notes from it to the new recipe, saved it and go back to the design tab and now the values are all jacked up again.  I am afraid to open or do anything at this point

Thoughts?
Toy4Rick

Well at least the problem hasn't returned.  My equipment profile and recipes all seem to be doing OK

Sure wish I knew what caused it

Toy4Rick

Happened again today, all my recipes now show up in ounces

I really need to know what is going on

Toy4Rick
WhatHappened_zpsb3a39710.jpg

Now I'm a bit more than ticked off...

Opened BS today and my equipment profile is gone, AGAIN.  I went inside the backup file I have and copied the equipment.bsmx into the BS folder, restarted and it still doesn't show up.  So now I rename equipment1.bsmx to equipment.bsmx and now it shows up

Clearly there is a bug that needs to be found and fixed.  This is now the third time my profile has disappeared.

As for my last post where all my recipes show up in ounces, found the main option under tools/options/units was showing ounces.

Before we start jumping on user error, I work on computers for a living

Seriously folks/Brad, I need a fix for this

Toy4Rick

I can't duplicate this on my Windows based systems in any way.

Are you sharing the directory between two files? 

Are you mucking with the files in the Beersmith documents folder?

Linux, Windows, Mac?

Toy4Rick said:
Now I'm a bit more than ticked off...

Opened BS today and my equipment profile is gone, AGAIN.  I went inside the backup file I have and copied the equipment.bsmx into the BS folder, restarted and it still doesn't show up.  So now I rename equipment1.bsmx to equipment.bsmx and now it shows up

Clearly there is a bug that needs to be found and fixed.  This is now the third time my profile has disappeared.

As for my last post where all my recipes show up in ounces, found the main option under tools/options/units was showing ounces.

Before we start jumping on user error, I work on computers for a living

Seriously folks/Brad, I need a fix for this

Toy4Rick

I'm replicating the same issue.  My custom profile and all others are gone.  Not good.

Single user computer (XP), haven't touched any of the folders.  It was working fine earlier this week and now they are gone.  Hopefully I have this backed up alongside my recipes.

Thanks Monkfish for confirming that I am not crazy

Windows 7 - 32 bit
No sharing, single computer and no mucking with files/folders.

The hard part is I can't tell when the changes occurred.  If you just open and modify current recipes you wouldn't even know the equipment profile was gone unless you wanted to select/update the profile or start a new recipe

This is now the third time my profile has gone Missing

Toy4Rick

Profile gone yet again today

Brad, we really need your attention to this matter

Yes it was in a backup file so I have it back now, just shouldn't need to be doing this over and over again
Rick

Is this mobile version? Brad is doing mobile versions only, back shortly. Did you really post for 4 months with no reply? There must be an email or something... Do support links really lead to the forum?

Hi,
  Sorry if I missed this one.  I am quite confused as to how you could be losing profiles unless it was some kind of permissions issue.  I'm assuming it does store your profiles correctly at least some of the time or does it never store them right?

You do have backups of everything in the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory.  These files are called Recipe1.bsmx. Recipe2.bsmx for recipes, Equipment1.bsmx, Equipment2.bsmx, etc. for equipment.

I know we have had problems with people running shared drives (and storing BeerSmith data on it) as well as trying to run more than one computer from a shared drive but it sounds like you are not doing that.

The other suggestion would be to make sure you have the latest version of the program (2.1.02 from Help->About).  Some very old versions had problems with autosave.

Finally you might want to close BeerSmith when not using it - its a real long shot but if your computer has some strange hybernation issue it may be trying to autosave multiple copies when it wakes up?  I put checks in to prevent this in the latest version but thought I might mention it.

Brad

Here today gone tomorrow.  I keep bringing the equipment profile back from the backup file.  When I select profile then select equipment, for a very brief nano sec I can see what looks like it might be the profile then it's gone.  Open close, nothing. The only way to get it back is to close BS delete the current file and rename the backup to the current

I am running the current version, single computer, no shares...

Sleep, hibernation might be the culprit, at least this last time BS was open while my laptop went to sleep as I recall

At least I am loosing something I can get back or rebuild, others are missing recipes which can't easily be replaced

Toy4Rick

I am having the same issue. All of my equipment profiles and style profiles have disappeared on my Windows XP laptop. This happened shortly after I added recipes using the "ADD-ons" button. I also occasionally use BeerSmith on my Windows Vista desktop and haven't had an issue with it. But I haven't used "Add-ons" to add any recipes on my desk top PC. I have BeerSmith version 2.1.02 on both.
Any suggestions or fixes?
Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jim, it seems to me, my issue might have been a sleep/hibernate issue with the OS with BS open.  Now I always close BS when I leave my pc and so far... Knock on a full glass, it hasn't happened again

I even think my recipes displaying in ounces has stopped as well since closing BS before sleep/hibernate

Good luck
Rick

Back