• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flanders Red

aschecte

Apprentice
Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for a Duchess de bourgogne clone ? and a time line for primary and secondary as well as oaking without a barrel and best yeast strain ? Thanks.

No.  But, I have a BCS: Flanders in the fermenter now.  Its been there for 4 weeks, I think.  JZ uses Roselare  from Wyeast, but he's targetting a Rodenbauch (not Gran Cru) clone.

we've had to age previous versions for 2+ years to develop the right character.  we've got one on the bugs right now in the bucket for 1+ years.  still not sour enough.  another spent a year in a bucket and the last year in an oak whiskey barrel.  it is just now starting to become drinkable. 

be patient.  its worth it.

I was looking through the forums when I ran across your post. I'm new to brewsmith being a die-hard Promash user for a long time. I formulated the recipe below some years ago and recently brewed the same mash and fermented using the Roselare blend from Wyeast.
I find I really really like this blend since the biologists at Wyeast, have done a great job with this one.

Typically I ferment to near completion and then rack into a secondary for another 4 week and finally package and further age about 3 months. That may seem accelerated to some other brewers, but the sour nature of this yeast blend has taken a lot of the guess work out of capturing this style of beer. It's plenty sour even during the random hydrometer sampling and ages with beauty. 

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/292029/roden-al-boch

biergarden said:
Typically I ferment to near completion and then rack into a secondary for another 4 week and finally package and further age about 3 months. That may seem accelerated to some other brewers, but the sour nature of this yeast blend has taken a lot of the guess work out of capturing this style of beer. It's plenty sour even during the random hydrometer sampling and ages with beauty.

Interesting recipe biergarden.
- At what temperature did you do your single infusion?
- What is your temperature schedule for the above fermentation process?

Regards,
Slurk

Hi Slurk,

Nice to meet you. I do all my beers at 158f until starch conversion is complete.  That might take 60 minutes or more. But, as you're certainly aware it's very important to have complete conversion and temperature control is of equal importance.
Fermentation temperatures are going to fluctuate by a few degrees solely because my fermentation room is also a guest room. So that being said temps vary from 68 to 70 degrees.
Packaging into kegs works best for me as it does with most people I'm sure. Now that the outside temps are in the 40 degree ranger, it's about perfect for my needs.

I'm brewing this one in the morning as a side note.   

biergarden said:
I'm brewing this one in the morning as a side note.

Thanks a lot Biergarden for your post!
Nice meeting you too. I wish you a lot of success brewing your next beer :)
R, Slurk

biergarden said:
I was looking through the forums when I ran across your post. I'm new to brewsmith being a die-hard Promash user for a long time. I formulated the recipe below some years ago and recently brewed the same mash and fermented using the Roselare blend from Wyeast.
I find I really really like this blend since the biologists at Wyeast, have done a great job with this one.

Hi Mate. I hope you are still brewing:p
just found this old post and would like to ask you how is your experience after some years. did you aged this beer?
im wondering if I could ferment it only using a primary fermenter.
thanks for sharing your recipe
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/292029/roden-al-boch

Back