• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Safale US-56...

A

AKZymie

Has anyone used this strain and experienced a very thick and creamy Krausen with it?  It's almost like whipped cream and sort of orange colored (probably from the dried Orange Peel Spice).  I'm not concerned or anything but this is definitely different than any other Krausen I have seen in my four years of brewing.  Maybe it is the spiced Christmas ale and the adjuncts that is the culprit?  I am even seeing what I would describe as "little tentacles" hanging down beneath the Krausen waving in the boiling fermentation.  This certainly concerned me at first but the ferment has been very fast (used a half gallon starter) and vigorous and is tapering off now.  

This is the first time I have used Safeale US-56 (hard to get ahold of up here in Alaska!) so I am basically interested in other folks' experiences with it in the respect of the Krausen.  

Thanks!

AKZ~

I've never used that yeast before (or any dry yeast...yet) but I have had the same kind of results as you. Since it's starting to slow, and you had plenty of headspace for teh ferment, you didn't need a blowoff tube like I did...

the Safale US-56 is supposed to be a good replacement for Wyeast 1056 or WhiteLabs 001 liquid yeast.. Hmmm... it's a LOT cheaper too... might have to look at the dry stuff....

the Safale US-56 is supposed to be a good replacement for Wyeast 1056 or WhiteLabs 001 liquid yeast.. Hmmm... it's a LOT cheaper too... might have to look at the dry stuff....

Exactly!  That's what my homebrew shop here said as well and they were out of both WL and Wyeast strains you mentioned.  My shop said all they had was a "Similar" yeast and they gave me the Safeale.  The owner said he used it twice but they beer is still in the secondary so no empirical report yet.  This has actually been pretty interesting using a yeast that I am unfamiliar with!  The creamy Krausen is almost hypnotic in that I can't quit checking it out!

thanks for the reply MM!

AKZ~

I've used other Safeale yeasts and had fantastic results.  Can't beat the price and I've never had a false start with them.  All I do is rehydrate, no starter needed, and in 1 day, it's bubbling like mad.

I still use the liquid yeasts because of the variety available, but when I'm making a "typical" ale, the dry works fine.

I recently started a Lite Ale Batch with US-56 and it started out well.
1 day later... BAMMMMM! the Krausen was <1 inch away from by airlock.
Thick creamy bubbly like a vanilla shake. Never seen this B4 in my brewing history..
Is this for real??
Did I just f-up my batch?

AKZymie said:
Has anyone used this strain and experienced a very thick and creamy Krausen with it?  It's almost like whipped cream and sort of orange colored (probably from the dried Orange Peel Spice).  I'm not concerned or anything but this is definitely different than any other Krausen I have seen in my four years of brewing.  Maybe it is the spiced Christmas ale and the adjuncts that is the culprit?  I am even seeing what I would describe as "little tentacles" hanging down beneath the Krausen waving in the boiling fermentation.  This certainly concerned me at first but the ferment has been very fast (used a half gallon starter) and vigorous and is tapering off now.  

This is the first time I have used Safeale US-56 (hard to get ahold of up here in Alaska!) so I am basically interested in other folks' experiences with it in the respect of the Krausen.  

Thanks!

AKZ~

Mate, I have done around 50 AG brews, most using US-56 and it is perfectly normal to have that big thick creamy krasuen that you mentioned. I brew on a weekly basis and grab a cup of slurry from the previous week and pitch to the latest brew. I generally go about 4 brews or so before starting a fresh batch.

cheers

Browndog

I have used the US-56 and I loved the way it turned out. I could not tell any difference from it and WLP-001. I have a porter in the pimary with the 04 (English ale yeast). Keeping my finger crossed. :D

I've been using it for a while now and I love the stuff.  It's cheap and it gets the fermentation going in a pretty fast time.  I racked on to a yeast cake with a 1.076 beer and it took off in 15 minutes.  It was done in primary in four days.  I racked off, dry hopped and let it sit for another week and kegged it today.  Crystal clear.  Wonderful yeast. 

I love US-56, however it is no more.  Due to a name change to protect the unknown it shall henceforth be known as US-05

Fred

I have been using us-56 ( US-05 )  for the last few years now , I like the fact that I don`t need to make a starter to brew.
  I do all my brewing when when time will let me, with ten gal. batches I only use one pack in my fermenter and thats all thats needed.
that whole yeast marketing program you have to take with a grain of salt! relax and have fun with it!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I have been using US-05 for over 4 months now and I can't say enough good things about it.  I went to the Fermentis site:
http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/30-10_product_hb.asp

And there is a list of products I would like to try.  One thing I must say about US-05 is that it floculates at an amazing level.  I have NEVER seen any liquid yeast do what this stuff did.  Also, I had massive amounts of Krausen in the fermenter but I am lucky I have a large plastic conical that handled it well.

I bet you that in 5 years you will see almost all liquid yeasts in dry form.  I can't verify this, but the cost of producing and shiping liquids has driven the market to do more research into dry yeasts.  This is just my opinion.

Back