• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

2 types of yeast?

a_darb

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to brewing and have had 2 successful batches. I found a recipe on this site that I'm thinking of using. The recipe calls for 2 types of yeast. 0.5 of British Ale and East Coast Ale White labs. Why would you use two kinds of yeast in the same batch? Thanks for answering my question!

-Darb

Lots of reasons to use multiple strains.  Flavor profile, attenuation, any reason you might want the best of one yeast and balance out the negatives of another. 

I just finished a batch of pumpkin ale using British Ale.  It is HIGHLY flocculant, but a little more attenuative than WLP002.  The beer tastes very good, even still flat from the fermenter.  I may replace WLP002 with this yeast.  It was finished and clear in 10 days. 

I haven't used East Coast ale.  From the white labs page: its less attenuative than CalAle, and even less flocculant. Its listed as having a similar flavor profile.

Based on the above, I don't really know why I would blend these two yeasts.  I don't really see how East Coast compliments '008.  Besides, I don't like low flocculant yeasts other than heffe.

Back