• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mini keg question...

A

AKZymie

Hey all...

I'm finding myself brewing more and more and becoming overwhelmed with bottles.  I'm taking baby steps toward kegging and I am about to purchase some mini's ( http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4897 ).

I'm just trying to validate my assumption that, after naturally carbonating in the mini's the C02 cartridges used in dispensing won't affect carbonation too much.  I really don't like too much carbonation in my preferred styles.  I assume it won't affect it too much especially since the beer doesn't usually hang around too often.   ;)

Thanks!

AKZ~

Yikes... sorry guys.  I meant this to be posted to the "all grain/advanced" forum so this is a little off topic in this forum.

AKZ~

How do you like those minis.  I have thought about trying them but have stayed with all bottles so far.

Don

Well I haven't ordered them yet but I will certainly report back in.  I will probably always bottle some portion of my batches to hand out to friends but These mini's look promising in terms of resolving the problem of having 8 cases of 12 oz. bottles kicking around.  When I run one dry just tap another.

I'll let'cha know...

AKZ~

Okay... I ordered the system.  Just in time for my spiced seasonal to be ready to fill them!  I also found the system on Northern Brewers website and they provided a better photo and instructions.  It seems one doesn't even need the CO2 cartridge until about half of the draught has been dispensed with the natural priming pressure.  This was exactly the info I was looking for.  

Waiting for the system to arrive will just give my seasonal a little more time in the secondary which is probably a good thing anyway.  

AKZ~

Kegging is an unbelievable time saver, and very convinient.  It also impresses the friends when I offer to bring an entire keg over...

You will quickly wonder how you got along without it.  The initial expense seems high, but it is really a great deal if you include the price of your time.

Brad

What system did you purchase ? I use both the Phil-Tap
System and the Party-Star System. FYI, I usually have to hit the CO2 after a couple of beers drawn off. Dont overdo the gas at first, you can balloon a keg .

I purchased the Party-Star system with 4 mini kegs.  I figured after natural carbonation there would be sufficient pressure at first.  Thanks for the heads up though... I certainly don't want to over pressurize them!

Is there much difference in the two taps?

Thanks!

AKZ~

The biggest advantage to the Phil-tap is you can lay the keg sideways and dispense. The Party-Star is mostly metal and secures better on the keg. I use them both and can keep 2 kegs in my refridgerator. Buy the pressure relief bungs instead of the regular ones and store kegs with the bung on top to avoid over-pressurizing kegs.

Good advice!  Thanks!  Im in search of the pressure relief bungs now!

AKZ~

Back