• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Calculating Extract Efficiency

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am wondering if I am calculating my Mash Extract Efficiency correctly. I just did a partial mash IPA today and instead of soaking the grains in socks in the boil pot at 158F or so (as I'd done on my last brew) I chose to do the mini-mash in a small pot with a 5-gallon nylon paint strainer and 4 Lbs of grain (3 Lbs pale 2-row, some biscuit, caramel, and carapils).

I milled my own grains in a BC set at .039, used 1.5 quarts of water per Lb of grain, held it at 154F for 60 minutes, pulled the bag out and let it drain in a strainer suspended over the pot for a while. I then poured a few pitchers of 168F water over the grain very slowly and let it drain completely.

Then I transferred the bag to my boil pot with 4 gallons of water at 168F and dunked it several times letting it drain slowly (suspended strainer again) each time until the gravity coming out was just below 1.020 (using a refractometer). I then added the mini-mash wort in the smaller pot to my boil pot and topped up to 6.5 Gallons.

After topping up I took a reading to see if I could figure my efficiency and measured 1.020. When I plug the grains, boil volume and measured SG into an on-line calculator (Brewer's Friend - they call it Brewhouse Efficiency) it tells me I could get as much as 1.024 and tells me I've got an efficiency of 89%!

Am I doing this right? Could I really have gotten 89% EE? Is this typical for a mini-mash?

My off-the-cuff number that I use is 5 pts per pound of base grain at 75%, so 1.015. 

A few points more from hitting 89%, plus those other grains, sounds feasible.  Sounds like you sparged at 168F thoroughly, so you got a lot from it.

Back