• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer Tasting Glasses?

philm63

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Where can I find information on the right (official?) type of glassware to use for beer tasting? If for instance I were looking to get into judging beers (BJCP likely in my future), what kind of glassware should I be using?

I know there are different glasses for each style and this makes a difference when enjoying a particular style, but for judging; would one want to use the same size and shape glass for every style to judge equally, or does this matter very much?

At comps, they supply plastic cups, but I know a judge that brings these in a two-fer box and uses them.  Partly for the swirling, partly to reduce plastic waste, I think.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/riedel-o-cabernet-merlot-bordeaux-stemless-wine-glasses-(set-of-2).asp

I really like these for tasting:  http://www.cobhthaighceltique.com/  Look for an ebay store too.

The tulip shape concentrates the aromas and you can swirl all you want and never spill it.  And not get your nose wet either.  I may try them in Asheville Saturday. 

Nice - thanks! Looks like it's time to restock the beer glass cabinet... (I've been collecting pint glasses for over 20 years...)

Question regarding BJCP rules; are there any limitations regarding the type (shape, size, material) of glassware used during a BJCP- and/or AHA-sanctioned comp? I'm being told plastic cocktail cups will be used (no exceptions) at an upcoming event in which I am participating (steward) - is this the norm, or is there wiggle room here? Could it perhaps a particular club or venue rule?

philm63 said:
Nice - thanks! Looks like it's time to restock the beer glass cabinet... (I've been collecting pint glasses for over 20 years...)

Question regarding BJCP rules; are there any limitations regarding the type (shape, size, material) of glassware used during a BJCP- and/or AHA-sanctioned comp? I'm being told plastic cocktail cups will be used (no exceptions) at an upcoming event in which I am participating (steward) - is this the norm, or is there wiggle room here? Could it perhaps a particular club or venue rule?

Too funny...I recently gave about 20 pint glasses to Goodwill.  Forgot to mention my "daily drinker" is the Sam Adams custom glass that is great for all styles.

Plastic cups are the norm for comps, and yours may have a tight rule to avoid broken glass or something.  You'd have to ask them. 

philm63 said:

I have participated in 20 or so competition judging events including stewarding NHC.  They always use clear plastic and seem to lean towards the "crystal" hard plastic cups.  The softer one seem to be a little opaque or something.

It is standard in BJCP sanctioned judging events to use plastic cups of a certain quality, no matter what the style.  That puts everyone on the same playing field.
However, it is common practice in the beer world to use different glasses for different styles.  Ask any Belgian, and they will say this is a given.  :D

Back