Author Topic: Low Original Gravity (2nd time)  (Read 23779 times)

Offline merfizle

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Low Original Gravity (2nd time)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
I am going to hi-jack the thread again.  I currently fly sparge and I try and set the flow on the sparge water as it comes in to match the flow on the MLT heading out.  I shoot for keeping a level amount of water above the grain bed.  But if you sparge over a 90 minute window are you not essentially increasing the mash time?

That's possible if under modified malt is used.  In my experience most of the conversion is done in the first 15-20 minutes.
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
Things off the top of my head that could result in a low O.G.

Bad grind.  Incomplete conversion.  Not mashing out.  Sparge water not hot.  Sparging too fast.

After the mash passes an iodine test I remove a third, bring it to a full boil, and add it back in.  This raises the temp to 160 or so, and my sparge water is closer to 170. I recirculate for a half hour, running at a mere trickle. It then takes most of an hour to run the fly sparge, again at a trickle, collecting a total of about seven gallons.  My efficiency runs between 70 and 85 percent.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

maddspoiler

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »
Sorry to hijack.
Jay, I missed that you were adding top off water.  This tells me that you are not sparging with enough water.  You should get your entire preboil volume from your mash water and sparge water.  Top off water is "wasted" in that you aren't using it to rinse your grains.

Mark

Typically you should sparge with the amount you want to finish with. 5 gal batch = 5 gallons sparge water. 
Sparging rate should be about 1 ltr a min.

Also read this, it cant hurt.   
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »
But if you sparge over a 90 minute window are you not essentially increasing the mash time?
No. Because the sparge water is set to around 168F which is above the temp the alpha and beta enzymes like, thereby shutting off the enzyme activity and only rinsing the grist.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline Humble Brewer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • http://bgospelm.tumblr.com/
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
Excellent answer.  Thanks.
Pastor and Brewer!
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

Offline jaybird789

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Everyone has been super in responding. I just talked to a guy in a local brewery who mentioned that the place I buy my grain at has a "lousy" mill and he goes 40 miles north to another establishment due to that fact. How the heck do I know if my local brew emporium is setting the mill correctly? Thank you all.

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »
Measure the SG of your first runnings.  Compare to this chart: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:First_wort_gravity.gif

You should be getting 90% of the available points as indicated in the table.  The primary driver for first running gravity is your crush.  Temperature and pH play a role too...but, they aren't near as important as crush. If you are below 90%, try having the LHBS double crush your next batch.  If your extraction goes up (especially if it gets above 90%)...then you know the issue is their mill.  It would be good to repeat that a couple of times to be sure it wasn't a fluke. 
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline brucedelta

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »
Everyone has been super in responding. I just talked to a guy in a local brewery who mentioned that the place I buy my grain at has a "lousy" mill and he goes 40 miles north to another establishment due to that fact. How the heck do I know if my local brew emporium is setting the mill correctly? Thank you all.

Like the original poster I am somewhat new to both all grain and beersmith. I also have been having trouble hitting  my numbers, but my focus has been on my equipment and brewhouse settings. I am not sure how to set my efficiency to get the right numbers, I started at 75% and have meen moving it down. I do take a measure of my pre-boil gravity and that is typically low. I sawa  post on this thread where they talked about adding extract, but have been reluctant to do that for fear of changing my beer profile. I have tried boiling longer to boil off more.
I have been batch sparging if that matters.

Are there tricks or tips to dial in the equipment settings for beersmith. I use a 10 Gallon igloo with a bazooka screen for a mash tun and have a large stainless 52 QT pot that I believe has a larger diameter than is ideal. I seem to get high boil off. How did most people here get their equipment set.

Also what setting is best for hops IBU calculation. I am not sure of the differences, but is one ideal?

Bruce

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
If you're just starting all-grain (AG), then I'd use a lower estimate for EE%, perhaps 60%.  After the brew, go back to that recipe and enter the measured results:  volumes, SG, etc., and BSmith will calculate the actual EE% you got.  Use that EE% the next time on the new recipe you try.  If EE% went down,  BSmith will compensate by telling you that you need more grains. 

After some number of batches, and assuming your process is consistent, you'll start hitting the numbers.  The first goal should be repeatability and consistent results.  Once you have that, you can start looking at whether you need/want to improve the process in order to boost EE% or whatever, 

Offline Freak

• Freak Brothers Homebrew
  • Brutally Freaking Honest
    • Freak Brothers Homebrew
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 06:38:23 PM »
I have been all grain brewing for 23 years and brew 17 gallon batches so, I may get different results because of the batch size but, I fly sparge in 30 mins and get 77%-85% efficiency so, I don't think it is the sparge time. I am going with the bad grind theory. I would drop some coin and get your own mill. Your gonna want one some day any how. Now is the time. The only other thing I didn't hear you say is if you mashed out (meaning raise the mash temp to 168-170 before you sparge). Even then I would expect a much higher OG. It has to be the grain crack. Go get a mill dude.
Brewing massive amounts of freakin' good beer since 1991. We had to learn the hard way. No homebrew stores or beer nerds (like me) to talk to back then. Just pure passion and determination. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew! -23 Karma! Yee Ha!! It went up! Smite me if you must but, trust me.