• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water volume discrepancy

zimmerj81

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with incorrect water volumes in BeerSmith 2.1. For example, I have a recipe where the brew sheet calls for a total water volume of 10.98 gallons. The mash calls for 37 quarts (ie. 9.25 gallons) for a water to grain ratio of 1.5, and a batch sparge volume of 4.05 gallons. By my calculations, that's a total water volume of 13.3 gallons. However, that seems a bit extreme. When I change the water to grain ratio, the sparge volume does not change. What's going wrong here? See attachment.

Attachments

• Stone's Imperial Russian Stout.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 509
It's like the total water needed isn't taking into account grain absorption.

I'm seeing water volume problems too on OS X and 2.1.02. For now, I've resorted to doing my water calculations in an excel spreadsheet, because I don't trust the BeerSmith calculations. Bummer.

Can you post the recipe? Maybe someone can figure out whats going on. Im not on osx though.

Hi,
  The recipe would be very helpful as I could trace the calculations with a debugger and try to find the problem.

Brad

I may be hijacking the OP's thread, but I think it's a very similar issue. Attached recipe and screenshots.

First screenshot I've got the mash-out set to 2.5 gallons, and secondary sparge step calculates out to 3.92 gallons. It's quite a bit too much water, I think.
Second screenshot, I adjust the mash-out to 2.9 gallons, and calculated secondary batch addition drops to 1.92 gallons.
Interestingly, if I adjust in increments, (2.6, 2.7, 2.8) the secondary step always stays the same at 3.92 until it flips down to 1.92.

I use a custom batch sparge profile too.

OS X Mountain Lion (observed same behavior on Lion), Beersmith 2.1.02

Attachments

• water test.bsmx
    22.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.31.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.31.56 AM.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.32.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-13 at 10.32.34 AM.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 471
BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  The recipe would be very helpful as I could trace the calculations with a debugger and try to find the problem.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I just figured out my problem. I was adjusting the water to grain ratio, but the "use equal batch sizes" option was checked under the mash profile settings. So even though increasing the water to grain ratio was increasing the amount of water it required me to use in the mash, BeerSmith still kept the batch sparge volume the same. I would recommend perhaps putting a note next to or beneath the water to grain ratio field to alert the user to make sure to uncheck the "use equal batch sizes" option.

Thanks,
Josh

dartboard said:
I may be hijacking the OP's thread, but I think it's a very similar issue. Attached recipe and screenshots.

First screenshot I've got the mash-out set to 2.5 gallons, and secondary sparge step calculates out to 3.92 gallons. It's quite a bit too much water, I think.
Second screenshot, I adjust the mash-out to 2.9 gallons, and calculated secondary batch addition drops to 1.92 gallons.
Interestingly, if I adjust in increments, (2.6, 2.7, 2.8) the secondary step always stays the same at 3.92 until it flips down to 1.92.

I use a custom batch sparge profile too.

OS X Mountain Lion (observed same behavior on Lion), Beersmith 2.1.02

Hey dartboard,

To the right of your mash profile, click the check mark to edit the settings of your mash profile. Under the Batch Sparge Options, uncheck the "use equal size batches". I think that will solve your problem.

Josh

Josh, you're right! The numbers are making a lot more sense with that unticked. I know I've ticked and unticked that box on my mash setup, but there was some confusion on my part as to when and how to apply that change to an existing recipe. Turns out you need to go in and reselect the mash profile to have it "refresh" it.

Definitely seems like a warning or exclamation mark or something would be useful in this situation. I don't always have the sense to sanity-check my numbers -- particularly if I've had a beer or two when I'm setting up. A dangerous situation, I know.

dartboard said:
Josh, you're right! The numbers are making a lot more sense with that unticked. I know I've ticked and unticked that box on my mash setup, but there was some confusion on my part as to when and how to apply that change to an existing recipe. Turns out you need to go in and reselect the mash profile to have it "refresh" it.

Definitely seems like a warning or exclamation mark or something would be useful in this situation. I don't always have the sense to sanity-check my numbers -- particularly if I've had a beer or two when I'm setting up. A dangerous situation, I know.

Haha I don't always have the sense either..damn homebrew! I've noticed you also need to refresh in the same way any time you make any changes to your equipment profile.

I read Brad's article on batch sparging & got the impression that the "use equal size batches" option is useful when you are using a small mash tun that can't hold a large volume, like a 5 gal cooler.

Back