Author Topic: Chill haze: due to my mashing scheme?  (Read 11280 times)

Offline Slurk

• Slurk
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Life is too short!
    • SLURK BEER  By Foeyn Minibryggeri
Re: Chill haze: due to my mashing scheme?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
Hi Tom,
Everything went very well last evening. I noticed a big difference in clarity already after the 90  boil compared to my former pilsners. Thanks!
Exiting to see how everything is developing and at the moment heavy "Krausen".
Regards,
Slurk
Ad Fundum!

Ready to drink: Slurk Fjellbrygg, Slurk Foeyn Ale, Slurk Agurk (Cucumber Wit), Slurk Belgian Blonde, Slurk Eng (Raspberry Wit), Slurk Hav (Seaweed Wit)
Aging: Slurk Whirled White Wheat (Wit)
Fermenting:
Next brew: Slurk Hav

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Glad to hear it.  Hope it continues to turn out good!
R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes

Offline MikeinRH

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »
I would be real careful preparing the gelatin and make sure you do not bring it to a boil. Reason I suggest a word of caution is that I tried it once and ended up with an IPA with bits of floating Gummy Bear! It also got stuck in the dip tube and I had to reverse gas the keg to blow it out at 40 PSI. It was real clear, though! Ha!

Offline Slurk

• Slurk
  • Life is too short!
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 03:08:51 PM »
Thanks MikeinRH!
Luckely I have had that experience before while preparing food with gelatine and not beer:) Yes, floating Gummy Bears in your food...
Regards,
Slurk
Ad Fundum!

Ready to drink: Slurk Fjellbrygg, Slurk Foeyn Ale, Slurk Agurk (Cucumber Wit), Slurk Belgian Blonde, Slurk Eng (Raspberry Wit), Slurk Hav (Seaweed Wit)
Fermenting:

Offline PetenNewburg

• “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is laughter, and in water there is bacteria” Benjamin Franklin
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
  Gummy Bears in the beer, a new rage has started!  I can see it now, Dogfish comes out with "Shark Bait", Corona says "eat the worm in the bottle", Anchor brewery comes out with a smoked beer called worm wood ..........  and it all started here!!!
Several meads ageing.
IPA kegged, 2/9/14
R. Porter in Secondary, 2/9/14
Next up, Vienna Lager, Pale Ale

Offline MikeinRH

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »
You guys want a job at an ad agency? Very fresh thinking! I have to agree that creating clarity is a real challenge. On the other hand, the popularity of wheat beers has almost made it a non-issue. The more I read about fining agents and the like, the more I learn that these additions also remove some of the things that are good ... like taste (hoppiness). I think we're all becoming more tolerant of cloudy beer and chill haze as the price you pay for good tasting beer. So what if it looks like a Heff? I refuse to bottle anymore after giving myself a massive dose of tendonitis from the repetitive bottling procedure. Aging/conditioning in a keg will do wonders for helping with clarity. I've still got bottles of beer I filled eight months ago.  The beer in those bottles is so clear! I don't think corn sugar carbonation can compare to a properly gassed keg, either. I'm thinking about giving gelatin another try on a batch that I forgot to add Irish Moss. Hey, Slurk ... how 'bout those Kings!

Offline Slurk

• Slurk
  • Life is too short!
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
Totally agree. Don't misunderstand me guys, taste is the most important for me! After some years of brewing beer my challenge was laying in making a nice and crispy pilsner. Then of course the looks (clarity) are becoming important as well. Perhaps we have to consider these as the "queens": looks good/tastes well.
Yes, from time to time it's really exiting finding some forgotten bottles of beer in your cellar and tasting them. Next to the clarity, it surprises me time after time how taste evolves/changes.

Talking about Gummy Bears in your beer, I was just thinking that in our case we really are taking the next step.
From bears on a beer labels to bears in your beer. Bottled bears must have some potential here in Norway or  Canada I suppose...
Regards,
Slurk
Ad Fundum!

Fermenting:

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
Gummy Bears in the beer, a new rage has started!  I can see it now, Dogfish comes out with "Shark Bait", Corona says "eat the worm in the bottle", Anchor brewery comes out with a smoked beer called worm wood ..........  and it all started here!!!

LMFAOROTFF!
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Slurk

• Slurk
  • Life is too short!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:50 PM »
Hi Tom Hampton and others,

I have a new batch that looks much better after the mash and boiling advices I received earlier.
Still there is a very thin haze that I would like to reduce by the following advice:

"Mix gelatin with 125 ml of sterile water, and allow to hydrate---15 minutes.  Then bring to 170F for 5-10 minutes.  Cool and pour into your beer (bucket, carboy, whatever you age in before bottling.  Mix well, and let it sit for a week.  This should clear the haze."

I was wondering what temperature I preferably should use to let the gelatin sit for a week and do its work. At the moment the pilsner is kept at 48F. Any advice/preferences?
Regards,
Slurk
Ad Fundum!

Fermenting:

modification