• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chill haze: due to my mashing scheme?

You guys want a job at an ad agency? Very fresh thinking! I have to agree that creating clarity is a real challenge. On the other hand, the popularity of wheat beers has almost made it a non-issue. The more I read about fining agents and the like, the more I learn that these additions also remove some of the things that are good ... like taste (hoppiness). I think we're all becoming more tolerant of cloudy beer and chill haze as the price you pay for good tasting beer. So what if it looks like a Heff? I refuse to bottle anymore after giving myself a massive dose of tendonitis from the repetitive bottling procedure. Aging/conditioning in a keg will do wonders for helping with clarity. I've still got bottles of beer I filled eight months ago.  The beer in those bottles is so clear! I don't think corn sugar carbonation can compare to a properly gassed keg, either. I'm thinking about giving gelatin another try on a batch that I forgot to add Irish Moss. Hey, Slurk ... how 'bout those Kings!

Totally agree. Don't misunderstand me guys, taste is the most important for me! After some years of brewing beer my challenge was laying in making a nice and crispy pilsner. Then of course the looks (clarity) are becoming important as well. Perhaps we have to consider these as the "queens": looks good/tastes well.
Yes, from time to time it's really exiting finding some forgotten bottles of beer in your cellar and tasting them. Next to the clarity, it surprises me time after time how taste evolves/changes.

Talking about Gummy Bears in your beer, I was just thinking that in our case we really are taking the next step.
From bears on a beer labels to bears in your beer. Bottled bears must have some potential here in Norway or  Canada I suppose...
Regards,
Slurk

Gummy Bears in the beer, a new rage has started!  I can see it now, Dogfish comes out with "Shark Bait", Corona says "eat the worm in the bottle", Anchor brewery comes out with a smoked beer called worm wood ..........  and it all started here!!!

LMFAOROTFF!

Hi Tom Hampton and others,

I have a new batch that looks much better after the mash and boiling advices I received earlier.
Still there is a very thin haze that I would like to reduce by the following advice:

"Mix gelatin with 125 ml of sterile water, and allow to hydrate---15 minutes.  Then bring to 170F for 5-10 minutes.  Cool and pour into your beer (bucket, carboy, whatever you age in before bottling.  Mix well, and let it sit for a week.  This should clear the haze."

I was wondering what temperature I preferably should use to let the gelatin sit for a week and do its work. At the moment the pilsner is kept at 48F. Any advice/preferences?
Regards,
Slurk

Back