• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Norton Security Suite erased BS2.1

ghwren

Master Brewer
Reaction score
BS 2.1 closed like a crash, followed by a Norton message that SONAR was detected and removed from my system. Now my BS shortcut goes nowhere. Have I lost all my data or is it hidden somewhere?

Same thing just happened to me. Hope there's a fix that doesn't involve losing my data!

Sounds to me like just another reason to get the hell rid of Norton.  Norton is known to cause so many problems and be incompatible with so much, I wonder how they continue to survive.  Makes me glad I quit using their product over 10 years ago!  Oh well, I'll get off my soap box.

You need to submit a "false positive" report to Norton. 

The problem is that every time I release a new program they're amazing algorithm says "this is a new program no one is using yet, so it can't be trusted".  The problem usually resolves itself in a few days once they have several hundred people using it (or they get enough false positive reports submitted by users).

Here's the virustotal scan on the new version of BeerSmith I did just a few days ago (40+ virus scanners):
  https://www.virustotal.com/file/07b7dd35ec2ca14e9b39d426df2b3198080f83bb99188ed59697c6caa8611c71/analysis/

Cheers,
Brad

Done, thanks Brad. Figured it was Norton and not the new file.

BeerSmith said:
You need to submit a "false positive" report to Norton. 

The problem is that every time I release a new program they're amazing algorithm says "this is a new program no one is using yet, so it can't be trusted".  The problem usually resolves itself in a few days once they have several hundred people using it (or they get enough false positive reports submitted by users).

Here's the virustotal scan on the new version of BeerSmith I did just a few days ago (40+ virus scanners):
  https://www.virustotal.com/file/07b7dd35ec2ca14e9b39d426df2b3198080f83bb99188ed59697c6caa8611c71/analysis/

Cheers,
Brad

The same thing happend to me.  I reported a false positive.  they came back and told me to update the program.  i did that and ran a full system scan.  I have not had any problems since. 

The recipes don't get affected but you lose equipment profile.  I created a recipe called default so i can recover if it ever happens again.

gruversm said:
There is a way to manually reverse the Norton uninstall…..

Yup, did this and no more problems. I kept the brewing laptop with the previous edition just in case though.

Back