Author Topic: I keep missing my starting gravity with the new version  (Read 9654 times)

Offline rokgoblin

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Re: I keep missing my starting gravity with the new version
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »
I think a closer look at my volumes is in order on my next batch, but this still leaves me wondering why all of a sudden after 30+ all grain batches I am not hitting my numbers.  The only thing that has changed between now and previous successful batches is the software. 

I always mash with 1.25qts/lb, and my voume measurements were hardly concise.  I will pay closer attention to my volumes on the next batch and see where that leads.  I have always used the marks on my kettle as my guide to how much volume I have in the kettle and the markings on my bucket as to how much volume was transferred.  My gravity readings have rarely been this far off until now and nothing significant about my process has changed.

I rarely have any leftover wort in the kettle after I transfer to primary, unless I use my autosiphon and stop when I start to pickup trub, etc..  That is the only process difference between other batches and my last few.  I recently started pouring through a strainer to get all the wort and leave the trub and hops behind in the strainer.

I will start to count more closely the volumes and take additional measurements during the process.

Offline tom_hampton

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • Tom's Miata Racing Blog
Re: I keep missing my starting gravity with the new version
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »
Cool, good luck.  Use your new ace-mart pitcher to calibrate everything to the same standard. 

R.I.P.:Belgian Blonde
On Tap: Apfelwein, Kolsch(v2), Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Specialty 
Aging/Storing: Coffee Porter, Chocolate Porter, Flanders Red, English Barlywine
Fermenting: Maggie's Altbier
Next Up: PtE(1.1), Belgian Dubbel?

Working thru all BCS recipes