Author Topic: BeerSmith 2 Linux Open Beta  (Read 34181 times)

Offline drinkingcoffee

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: BeerSmith 2 Linux Open Beta
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
First, thanks for finally supporting Linux.  I'm happy to rid of WINE from my system.

I have created a spec file that converts the .deb into an RPM and requires all of the right dependencies on F16.

Do you have plans to support a proper RPM for Fedora in the future?  There were only two bugs I came across when packaging it:
1. there is a static rpath in the 'beersmith2' binary.  I had to disable rpath checks in the spec file to avoid an error.
2. you link against a newer version of wxWidgets compared to what ships in F16, so we still need to ship your local copies.  Is this a hard dependency or if you recompiled on F16 would things be fine?  It would be nice to not redistribute libraries that are already in the distro.

spec: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith.spec
RPM: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith-2.0.60-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm

Just wanted to say thanks for that .rpm
I've just installed it on my F16 system, and so far it's running great.

cheers!

Thanks again for this spec file. I used it to make a new RPM for the 2.0.65 version.
Not sure if I did the right thing, but I had to change the %install section a bit to make things work:

Code: [Select]
%install
cd %{name}-%{version}
%{__rm} -rf %{buildroot}/*
%{__cp} -a * %{buildroot}/

Otherwise, it was deleting the wrong directory and then copying files to the wrong place.

cheers.

Offline damianpeterson

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 11:13:35 PM »
Hi and like others here I'd like to express my gratitude for porting this across to Linux. It's really appreciated! I'd previously been running a virtual machine solely for Beersmith (couldn't stand the WINE version).

I'll keep a note of any bugs I come across and post them in the main Bugs/Support area (unless you'd prefer to address Linux issues in this topic of course).

Great work and thanks once again!

Offline shadowbrew

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »
Hi, I think I've found a bug.

When I try to add a note, by going View -> Notes -> Add Note, the program crashes when I hit OK after adding the text I want to the note.

Running BS from the command line, it gives this error message after crashing:
Code: [Select]
(beersmith2:18104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_get_origin: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
[1]    18104 segmentation fault  beersmith2

I'm running BeerSmith v2.1.02 on a 64-bit Arch Linux computer. I could also add that I'm using xmonad as my window manager, since the crash seems to be "window related".

Offline airgead

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
Hi

Just tried to install the beta on Ubuntu 12.04 throught he software centre. It refuses to allow the install saying rhe package is of bad quality. Details below -

Lintian check results for /home/dave/Downloads/BeerSmith-2.1.02_amd64.deb:
Use of uninitialized value $ENV{"HOME"} in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/bin/lintian line 108.
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_propgrid-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_propgrid-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_ribbon-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_ribbon-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_stc-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_stc-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.9.so.3 1000/1000

Any suggestions? I can ignore and install anyway but would rather not. Can't wait to give it a try so I can stop running it under wine.
Cheers
Dave

Offline azblktl

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »
Hi,

I too experienced the same error as Dave in the post above.  I'm on Ubuntu Linux 12.04.  Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
Thanks,
 I've not had time to check 12.04 but will give it a try as soon as I can find a few minutes.  Hopefully later this week...just need time to actually install it.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline scsever

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 06:50:12 AM »
I'm also having issues with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3 but I'm not running a Debian/Ubuntu system so I realize this may not be considered a valid install.

A little history... I ran the trial version 2-3 months ago with no issues, that was on OpenSuse 12.1 x64.  I used alien to covert to an rpm and install went perfect, I seem to recall that a profile tweak was needed in my home directory but that's all.  A couple weeks ago I was ready to move to OpenSuse 12.2 x64 and not being a fan of OS upgrades I did a new install, other than my home directory.  Since BeerSmith worked for me previously I just went ahead with the purchase yesterday but now I can't get it to launch due to something with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3
/usr/bin/beersmith2: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since this had previously worked I wonder where the change is coming from.  Is the Linux download of BeerSmith any different today that it was around August time frame?  Anyone suggestions, other than a different OS?

Until I get this working in OpenSuse I'll be running on a Windows system, but once it works I'll be installing on my Linux desktop and laptop and removing from the Windows system, will I have any activation issues with three installs (only two active).

Offline scsever

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 07:06:17 AM »
I'll answer my own post.  After sending this I wondered what if it's due to the old data in my home directory, so renamed .beersmith and now it launches with no issues.

I'm also having issues with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3 but I'm not running a Debian/Ubuntu system so I realize this may not be considered a valid install.

A little history... I ran the trial version 2-3 months ago with no issues, that was on OpenSuse 12.1 x64.  I used alien to covert to an rpm and install went perfect, I seem to recall that a profile tweak was needed in my home directory but that's all.  A couple weeks ago I was ready to move to OpenSuse 12.2 x64 and not being a fan of OS upgrades I did a new install, other than my home directory.  Since BeerSmith worked for me previously I just went ahead with the purchase yesterday but now I can't get it to launch due to something with libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3
/usr/bin/beersmith2: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Since this had previously worked I wonder where the change is coming from.  Is the Linux download of BeerSmith any different today that it was around August time frame?  Anyone suggestions, other than a different OS?

Until I get this working in OpenSuse I'll be running on a Windows system, but once it works I'll be installing on my Linux desktop and laptop and removing from the Windows system, will I have any activation issues with three installs (only two active).

Offline xenoscr

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
First off, thanks for porting this to Linux.

Now that said. I have an issue I ran into. I run Kubuntu. I'm running the most recent release that uses KDE 4.9.5. I installed Beersmith and moved my configuration from my old Windows install. All is good there.

The issue I'm having is printing. When printing I get a dark black background. The colors seem to match the color scheme that I have configured for my desktop. The print preview looks fine. The background is white, the boxes are laid out the text is black but, when I print to the printer or to a file (pdf) the background is not what the preview is showing.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the print preview and the output of printing to a PDF. (The same result as printing to a real printer)

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
Hi,
  Some people have had trouble with printing under Linux to certain printers.

The best workaround I know of is to use the "Save Report" button in the preview window pane to save the current report to a file, then print it from any browser.  This works well for anyone having printing issues.

Brad

Offline xenoscr

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »
I don't have a "Save As" in the print preview window. The only way to print a "normal" page from BeerSmith for linux is to change my color scheme to one that uses white background and dark text. Otherwise the BeerSmith print seems to inherit my dark color scheme and print dark colors despite the preview pane showing a nice white background.

If you're going to be serious about offering a Linux port, then then there should be a programmatic solution and not a work-around. Does BeerSmith embed it's own CSS into the print output to specifically set print colors? From the results I'm seeing I would guess that it is not since the output is pulling system default colors. It doesn't seem to be specific to a particular printer. Printing to my Brother MFC-J835DW I get the same result. Something seems to be going wrong between the preview and the output. Since it looks like you use HTML for the print layout and it's using default colors I've set for my color scheme I guessing that colors are not specifically set in the output and thus overrode by the default system colors.

Don't take me wrong, I paid, I love the product. I'm asking for a real solution to a real problem that I'm having. This is a bug that I presume others could run into.

Offline BeerSmith

• BeerSmith
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 07:03:24 AM »
Thanks,
  There is a "Save Report" button on the preview pane if you have the preview pane enabled from My Recipes view (its on by default).  You can save any of the reports including the step by step instructions from there.

I will also add this to my bug list - I'm planning another set of BeerSmith updates in the coming months and will spend some time on this.

Brad

Offline xenoscr

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »
Ahhh, I see. So if this report is the same html being passed for printing the background and text colors don't seem to be specified for anything other than the grey boxes and the white text is those grey boxes. This would seem to match the output I get when printing. Solution should be as easy as specifying default font and background colors for the whole page.

Thank you and, I look forward to your updates.

Conor

Offline raidershero

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 08:48:29 AM »
I'm having a problem with the trial version of the 64-bit package.  I've successfully installed on 64-bit Debian Squeeze laptop, but when I try to run it it tells me my trial period has expired and I must purchase a key.  It tells me that I have -33 days left in my trial period.  Also when I close the application the process is not killed and I cannot start it again until I run a "killall beersmith2".

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that every time I start BS2 abiword also opens for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:52:06 AM by raidershero »

Offline panadero

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
Hello, I am trying to install this on my linux tablet. It is running linaro, a ubuntu derivative for arm chips. I tried the force architecture method described previously, but it is not working. Dependencies say alsa utils req'd, but when I try to install, it says already on the newest version. Is there a way around this? Or is there a tar file i could download and compile myself on the tablet?
Thanks,
David