Author Topic: BeerSmith 2 Linux Open Beta  (Read 34270 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: BeerSmith 2 Linux Open Beta
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:22:28 PM »
Thanks
  I was not aware of the tab issue - I'll take a look at it.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline drinkingcoffee

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:56 AM »
thanks so much for the native linux version!
I have it installed on my (debian-based) netbook and it's working quite well.

one issue that I noticed:

- changing the units to metric in the options causes all the default field values on that form to be 'doubled' like: ".2500.2500" or "$$" for the currency sign. These values will then be used like that when making a recipe, etc. Changing unit sets again (to US, say) will do it again, so you can end up with very long nonsense ".2500.2500.2500" values in there. this then has some funny effects in the various recipe calculations. Manually editing those values back to something normal works fine though - it's just that 'switch all values to metric/US' button that does it.

Also, a package for Fedora (or a generic release) would be amazing! (that's my main desktop)
Would love to stop mucking about with wine (even though it works surprisingly well)

thanks

Offline MysticMead

• MysticMead Homebrewing
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
running this on Linux Mint. working GREAT! I did notice that if I pin the app to the panel and then minimize the only way get back to the app is to alt-tab. clicking on the icon again in the panel gives an error that the app is already running. It's like the app disappears when minimized. Also being able to export recipes in XML would be awesome.

Thanks for making a native Linux version, it makes life MUCH easier since I now use Linux as my main OS. It also helped convince a friend to buy Beersmith
MysticMead~ Where Brewing and Magick Meet!
http://www.mysticmead.com

Offline aselya

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
Just installed and tested out the 64-bit version on Ubuntu 11.10. Works great so far! Thanks for a Linux client!!

Offline beerpilot

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Problem exporting in Linux
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
I am running LinuxMint 12, 32 bit.

When trying to export a recipe in any of the 3 formats I get a dialog box stating "Writing files of this type not yet completed" I have reinstalled BeerSmith2 and the dialog persists.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Thanks - I will take a close look at the export function!

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline shadowbrew

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »
Thanks for the native Linux version! Now I don't have to use virtualbox with windows to run beersmith :)

Beersmith seems to work great in 64-bit Arch Linux, and the trial version is available in the AUR (Arch User Repository), which makes it painfree to install :)

Offline matchrocket

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 08:16:23 AM »
I am running it on both 11.10 and 10.04.4.  I have to say it runs 100x better on the 10.04 release (64) than 11.10 (64).

Window scrolling is very buggy, (Won't always scroll) Copy/Paste of folders and recipes doesn't always work, and pop-up windows are cropped so I can't get to save or exit unless I make them full screen (Can't drag them around) and the APP freeze's from time to time.

If you minimize the application its gone. ALT-TAB won't bring it back, its "hidden" I have to kill the process and restart.

I also have issues when I exit the application, it does't kill the process, so I have to nuke it from a terminal before I restart BeerSmith.  The Lock File mentioned above also happens if I kill the process due to minimizing or closing the application and re-starting.

I have only had these problems in Ubuntu 11.10.  10.04 seems to work just fine.

All in all, I am extremely happy its ported to Linux!  The above issues aren't going to bother me really as I don't use 11.x day-2-day due to its poor performance and general dis-like of Unity.

Linux TTM-T420 3.2.0-17-generic #27-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 24 22:03:50 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Offline bearymore

• BeerSmith New Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
I just used alien to convert the .deb to an Opensuse rpm. It is running perfectly on Opensuse 12.1 x64. I had absolutely no problems with the install, the dependencies were perfect. Thanks for the conversion to Linux. I love it!

Offline drinkingcoffee

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:49 AM »
First, thanks for finally supporting Linux.  I'm happy to rid of WINE from my system.

I have created a spec file that converts the .deb into an RPM and requires all of the right dependencies on F16.

Do you have plans to support a proper RPM for Fedora in the future?  There were only two bugs I came across when packaging it:
1. there is a static rpath in the 'beersmith2' binary.  I had to disable rpath checks in the spec file to avoid an error.
2. you link against a newer version of wxWidgets compared to what ships in F16, so we still need to ship your local copies.  Is this a hard dependency or if you recompiled on F16 would things be fine?  It would be nice to not redistribute libraries that are already in the distro.

spec: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith.spec
RPM: http://aronparsons.s3.amazonaws.com/beersmith-2.0.60-1.fc16.x86_64.rpm

Just wanted to say thanks for that .rpm
I've just installed it on my F16 system, and so far it's running great.

cheers!

Offline elhijo

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »
Hi,
what a fantastic  program ! :)
Everything works well, but I have a slight bug when clicking on Help button.
It opens winebrowser and then opens winebrowser and then open winebrowser.....
It never stop except if I kill wineserver....
I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 64bits
Wine is installed of course...
Don't understand why it launch winebrowser.
Am I alone ? :)
Thanks all,

David

Edit:
Here is launched programs: /bin/sh /usr/bin/xdg-open file:///home/elhijo/.wine/dosdevices/z:/usr/share/BeerSmith2/help/my_recipes_and_folders.htm
Z: is linked to /

Edit2: It seems to be a xdg-open probleme, I have same issue with "xdg-open /usr/share/BeerSmith2/help/my_recipes_and_folders.htm"

Edit3: Sorry for this useless post, really seems to be a xdg issue.
Anyway, /usr/bin/sensible-browser don't have this issue.... ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:38:42 PM by elhijo »

Offline salty.cowdawg

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
I'm running BeerSmith2 under Linux Mint (an Ubuntu derivative.)   Right now I'm getting the message "Another copy of BeerSmith is already running.  You may only run one copy at a time" in a pop-up and I can't get past it. 

I saw mention of a lock file but not the path to it.  Where does this beasty live?

Offline salty.cowdawg

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 10:05:11 AM »
OK: found the lockfile. 

For those who don't know it is in your home directory as a file "BeerSmith2-{userid}"  where userid is your userid.   Remove that and BeerSmith will start.

Offline beernz

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Problem exporting in Linux
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 11:55:27 PM »
I am running LinuxMint 12, 32 bit.

When trying to export a recipe in any of the 3 formats I get a dialog box stating "Writing files of this type not yet completed" I have reinstalled BeerSmith2 and the dialog persists.

Thanks,
Mike

I've got the same OS and problem - is there a work around for this? without an export function I can't use it as intended and am bound to my laptop at home when I could be using it with my Win7 PC at work  ;)

Thanks!

Offline jthoresen

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
If you're experiencing problems using Ubuntu Software Centre to install the Debian package BeerSmith-2.0.60.deb, GDebi is a great alternative.

sudo apt-get install gdebi gdebi-core

Right click on BeerSmith-2.0.60.deb, select Open With GDebi Package Installer.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:35:09 PM by jthoresen »

modification