• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 Linux Open Beta

I don't have a "Save As" in the print preview window. The only way to print a "normal" page from BeerSmith for linux is to change my color scheme to one that uses white background and dark text. Otherwise the BeerSmith print seems to inherit my dark color scheme and print dark colors despite the preview pane showing a nice white background.

If you're going to be serious about offering a Linux port, then then there should be a programmatic solution and not a work-around. Does BeerSmith embed it's own CSS into the print output to specifically set print colors? From the results I'm seeing I would guess that it is not since the output is pulling system default colors. It doesn't seem to be specific to a particular printer. Printing to my Brother MFC-J835DW I get the same result. Something seems to be going wrong between the preview and the output. Since it looks like you use HTML for the print layout and it's using default colors I've set for my color scheme I guessing that colors are not specifically set in the output and thus overrode by the default system colors.

Don't take me wrong, I paid, I love the product. I'm asking for a real solution to a real problem that I'm having. This is a bug that I presume others could run into.

Thanks,
  There is a "Save Report" button on the preview pane if you have the preview pane enabled from My Recipes view (its on by default).  You can save any of the reports including the step by step instructions from there.

I will also add this to my bug list - I'm planning another set of BeerSmith updates in the coming months and will spend some time on this.

Brad

Ahhh, I see. So if this report is the same html being passed for printing the background and text colors don't seem to be specified for anything other than the grey boxes and the white text is those grey boxes. This would seem to match the output I get when printing. Solution should be as easy as specifying default font and background colors for the whole page.

Thank you and, I look forward to your updates.

Conor

I'm having a problem with the trial version of the 64-bit package.  I've successfully installed on 64-bit Debian Squeeze laptop, but when I try to run it it tells me my trial period has expired and I must purchase a key.  It tells me that I have -33 days left in my trial period.  Also when I close the application the process is not killed and I cannot start it again until I run a "killall beersmith2".

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that every time I start BS2 abiword also opens for some reason.

Hello, I am trying to install this on my linux tablet. It is running linaro, a ubuntu derivative for arm chips. I tried the force architecture method described previously, but it is not working. Dependencies say alsa utils req'd, but when I try to install, it says already on the newest version. Is there a way around this? Or is there a tar file i could download and compile myself on the tablet?
Thanks,
David

I've not compiled it for ARM, so I don't think it will work on an ARM tablet.  The current distribution is only on Intel (and clone) architectures.

Brad

Hi Guys

Just confirming that the installer is still giving problems on Ubuntu 12.10 and the beta of 13.04.

Lintian check results for /home/dave/Downloads/BeerSmith-2.1.02_amd64(1).deb:
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_net-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_aui-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_propgrid-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_propgrid-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_qa-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_ribbon-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_ribbon-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_stc-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_stc-2.9.so.3 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.9.so 1000/1000
E: beersmith2: wrong-file-owner-uid-or-gid usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.9.so.3 1000/1000

And if you ignore and install anyway, it fails with the following output -

Selecting previously unselected package beersmith2.
(Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%
(Reading database ... 10%
(Reading database ... 15%
(Reading database ... 20%
(Reading database ... 25%
(Reading database ... 30%
(Reading database ... 35%
(Reading database ... 40%
(Reading database ... 45%
(Reading database ... 50%
(Reading database ... 55%
(Reading database ... 60%
(Reading database ... 65%
(Reading database ... 70%
(Reading database ... 75%
(Reading database ... 80%
(Reading database ... 85%
(Reading database ... 90%
(Reading database ... 95%
(Reading database ... 100%
(Reading database ... 520897 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking beersmith2 (from .../BeerSmith-2.1.02_amd64(1).deb) ...
Please close BeerSmith before installing
dpkg: error processing /home/dave/Downloads/BeerSmith-2.1.02_amd64(1).deb (--install):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:

Cheers
Dave

Thanks,
  That is at the top of my priority list for the next release.

Brad

Hi;

I'm running the 64bit version on Ubuntu 12.4 but nothing seems to come up. Even the 'lock file is deleted' box has not interactivity.
Is there a debug switch that can show what is wrong ?

Hi,
  I'm not sure why it would not be running.  Was it running previously or is this a new install?

Brad

This is a new install. I had it on wine on a prior Linux and wanted to see it run on Linux natively.
Do you have any debug stuff that can be enabled ?

I don't but you might try uninstalling and reinstalling.  I fixed the install bug but I wonder if you are getting some other error.  Does any error come up when you run it?

Brad

Running Debian 3.2.46-1 x86_64, the 64-bit deb installed, but when I try to run it I get
Code:
/usr/bin/beersmith2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/bin/beersmith2)
/usr/bin/beersmith2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/bin/beersmith2)

Any suggestions?

P.S. Tried to update libc6 but apt says it's the latest version.

P.P.S Further investigation seems to show that Debian 7.1 uses GLIBC_2.13, and is frozen for 3 years... :p

Got Linux Beersmith running and files ported over. Now starting to finally use it.

Why doesn't the return key work in any of the selection windows (grain, hops, yeast, etc.)
It was nice on BeerSmith1 that pressing the space bar on the design tab would repeat the previous button (add grain, add hops, etc.)
Thus you were able to use just the keyboard to enter a recipe. Now you have to use the mouse to add something, return to complete,
mouse this, key that, etc.

anyone run into any activation problems with Mint 15 Cinnamon? The program runs fine under trial mode but locks up when i try to activate it.... I may end up going back to ubuntu if I cant get this figured out... any legit hacks to manually enter my activation key?

I tried using wine to run it virtual windows environment... epic failure....lol

Running BS2 under Puppy Linux 5.6
Everything was going peachy up until the laptop did a timeout shutdown.  Afterwards, Beersmith will start but behaves as though its just a wallpaper image - can't select any function, recipes, menus - nothing.  Then I have to Kill the process to get rid of it.  Tried restarting, tried reinstaling (though did not uninstall)
Any ideas?

Hi,
  Not aware of the activation issues under Mint, but I don't have Mint running.  If I had to guess I would think it was locking up trying to reach the server.  Try disabling your internet first (which will cut off the server) and see if it will activate locally.

Regarding Puppy Linux - have not tried it at all.  What core is it based on?

Brad

Sorry Brad, have been away. Puppy is as follows
http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
its handy for older and low power PC's and can be run off usb though my system has it on HD

jimmayhugh said:
Running Debian 3.2.46-1 x86_64, the 64-bit deb installed, but when I try to run it I get
Code:
/usr/bin/beersmith2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/bin/beersmith2)
/usr/bin/beersmith2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/bin/beersmith2)

Any suggestions?

P.S. Tried to update libc6 but apt says it's the latest version.

P.P.S Further investigation seems to show that Debian 7.1 uses GLIBC_2.13, and is frozen for 3 years... :p

So, here we are months later, and no reply...

Back