• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Diacetyl in the keg

YumBeer

Apprentice
Reaction score
howdy, new guy here.

Is there any way to get rid of the buttery taste that I am assuming is from Diactyl after the brew is already kegged for two weeks?

I think I must have racked to secondary too soon or perhaps the temps fluctuated too much (63-67). In any event, I dont want to thorw it out, but its already "conditioned" for two weeks in the keg with no improvement. Any chance of salvation?

I suppose you could try raising the temperature into the 70's.  Might have to give a gentle stir to get yeast back in suspension and give it a couple days.

Mark

I have had "off" flavors mellow out by letting it condition for another 4 weeks. After that if it's still not right you can try to mask it with some dry hopping.

Bruce

Mark, Bruce, thanks fo the input. I will try both suggestions--reactivate the yeast to whatever degree possible and then I will leave 'er in the keg for another month and see what happens.

I dont think there is any amount of dry-hopping that will mask this taste however. It is pretty strong...

Was the taste present when you first kegged the beer? It is possible to pick up infections and off flavours from your tap (sorry, faucet) and/or beer line.

Normally I thoroughly clean the tap and lines after each keg by running a warm PBW solution through (followed by a warm rinse, then Starsan). This works fine for my forward sealing Perlick taps, however I recently noticed diacetyl developing which wasn't present when I kegged. This particular line was connected to a Celli tap, and sure enough when I pulled it apart it was full of gunk. After a good clean of the tap and line, the diacetyl flavour disappeared (thankfully). I now ALWAYS disconnect the beer line from the keg if I know I will not be using it for some time. I will also be completely pulling down my taps after each keg is finished.

Back