Author Topic: Diacetyl in the keg  (Read 3279 times)

Offline YumBeer

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Diacetyl in the keg
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »
howdy, new guy here.

Is there any way to get rid of the buttery taste that I am assuming is from Diactyl after the brew is already kegged for two weeks?

I think I must have racked to secondary too soon or perhaps the temps fluctuated too much (63-67). In any event, I dont want to thorw it out, but its already "conditioned" for two weeks in the keg with no improvement. Any chance of salvation?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:18:23 PM by YumBeer »
I drink, therefore I am.........drunk

Offline merfizle

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Diacetyl in the keg
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:47:54 PM »
I suppose you could try raising the temperature into the 70's.  Might have to give a gentle stir to get yeast back in suspension and give it a couple days.

Mark
Primary: Lambic base for solera barrel
Kegged: Bavarian Weissbier, N. English brown, Roggenbier

Offline BruceBrew

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:11:14 AM »
I have had "off" flavors mellow out by letting it condition for another 4 weeks. After that if it's still not right you can try to mask it with some dry hopping.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline YumBeer

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:55:37 PM »
Mark, Bruce, thanks fo the input. I will try both suggestions--reactivate the yeast to whatever degree possible and then I will leave 'er in the keg for another month and see what happens.

I dont think there is any amount of dry-hopping that will mask this taste however. It is pretty strong...
I drink, therefore I am.........drunk

Offline hefevice

• BeerSmith New Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 05:02:35 AM »
Was the taste present when you first kegged the beer? It is possible to pick up infections and off flavours from your tap (sorry, faucet) and/or beer line.

Normally I thoroughly clean the tap and lines after each keg by running a warm PBW solution through (followed by a warm rinse, then Starsan). This works fine for my forward sealing Perlick taps, however I recently noticed diacetyl developing which wasn't present when I kegged. This particular line was connected to a Celli tap, and sure enough when I pulled it apart it was full of gunk. After a good clean of the tap and line, the diacetyl flavour disappeared (thankfully). I now ALWAYS disconnect the beer line from the keg if I know I will not be using it for some time. I will also be completely pulling down my taps after each keg is finished.

modification