• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"recommended starter" question under the Yeaster Starter tab

Dassy

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, First post here.

I am told to use 1.21 liters as the "recommended starter" for my OG 46 Porter. I am guessing the 1.21l is the DME I use. But 1.21 (over 2 cups) seems like alot of DME to use. Every were online is recommending 1/2 a cup as the average for 5 gallon. Also is 2 cups water the standard, I see it doesn't give me water amount suggestions. I will also be dumping out as much of my wort as I can before adding to the fermentation. Not sure if that makes my DME and Water measurements less relevant. Thanks

yeah stick to what you are reading online. conventional starters are 1.5 cup of dme and 2 cups of water is it? on beersmith under the yeast starter tab i leave the water amount at 0.66L which is the equivalent of water from suggestions online/homebrew stores..

the gist of it is you really dont need to make any larger of a starter..the whole purpose is to start small and build up yeast cells over the period of a couple days through the stir plate..

Back