• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation of Beer in Growler

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'd like to let someone have some of a pale ale I recently made.  It's in a keg right now so it's obviously one of my tap beers.  I have a growler that I got from Granite City.  I remember when I got that Growler it looked like the bartender just poured the bock that I bought with it straight into the Growler.  She said it would it would last approx 2-3 days after its been opened. 

Can I do this with my pale ale or is there something else I need to do to keep the beer carbonated (stick CO2 hose into the beer maybe?)

thanks for the help

WR

Breweries around here put a piece of hose on the tab to run the beer to very bottom of growler.  I assume it's to prevent foaming.  As long as the growler remains sealed it should last at least 2-3 days.  Once opened, it goes flat quick.

Mark

After kegging, I had issues keeping carbonation when moving to a bottle - plus it's messy. I have since learned to growler half a 10 gallon batch and keg the other half. When I was doing 5 gallon batches, I would either bottle or keg. I was considering getting a 3 gallon keg to split a batch, but it seemed more investment than it was worth.

I have heard many have had success with this transfer using a beer gun, but I can't speak from experience on that.

You're fine.

Yes, sometimes breweries or growler refill places will put a tube on the end of a tap to get the beer to the bottom of the growler to ease up on foaming issues. I actually just run the tap for a bit into a glass to clear a bit of gas from the lines and transfer to the growler straight from the tap. Just keep the growler tipped and you should be fine.

I haven't tried it yet because I am pretty new to the whole homebrewing hobby,  but I have set up several empty plastic one liter ginger ale bottles  with caps that I drilled installed metal tire valves.

I have added a gas line in my kegerator that terminates in a tire chuck.

My intention when filling a bottle or two to take to a picnic or friend's house  is to purge the empty bottle with CO2, fill with a hose stuck on my Perlick taps,  add the cap and give a shot of 10 psi CO2 via the tire valve in the cap.

Will it work?  Guess I will find out!  The bottles /modified do hold pressure fine - I checked them with compressed air and left the for a few days.

Brian.

I share my kegged beer using growlers.  Just tip it nice and keep the pressure real low, and you'll be fine.

yes some places use a hose which goes to the bottom, others dont. i used to work a growler station and we didnt use a hose. we just poured beer straight from the tap into the growler then closed it up. in a screwtop growler, if unopened can stay carbonated for anywhere up to a month or so. a swing top could stay carbed even longer. however, once either of them are opened you really want to try to drink as much as possible so you dont waste any. i opened one swing top for 2 beers, and closed it up, stuck it in my fridge, less that 12 hours later i opened up for another and it was flat. so the key is, when you open one make sure you get out as much as possible.

Back