Author Topic: Carbonation of Beer in Growler  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Carbonation of Beer in Growler
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
I'd like to let someone have some of a pale ale I recently made.  It's in a keg right now so it's obviously one of my tap beers.  I have a growler that I got from Granite City.  I remember when I got that Growler it looked like the bartender just poured the bock that I bought with it straight into the Growler.  She said it would it would last approx 2-3 days after its been opened. 

Can I do this with my pale ale or is there something else I need to do to keep the beer carbonated (stick CO2 hose into the beer maybe?)

thanks for the help

WR

Offline merfizle

Re: Carbonation of Beer in Growler
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Breweries around here put a piece of hose on the tab to run the beer to very bottom of growler.  I assume it's to prevent foaming.  As long as the growler remains sealed it should last at least 2-3 days.  Once opened, it goes flat quick.

Mark
Primary: English Barleywine, hefeweizen
Secondary: Weizenbock
Kegged: Templeton Rye ESB, English old ale

Offline Serenity Now

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:58:52 AM »
After kegging, I had issues keeping carbonation when moving to a bottle - plus it's messy. I have since learned to growler half a 10 gallon batch and keg the other half. When I was doing 5 gallon batches, I would either bottle or keg. I was considering getting a 3 gallon keg to split a batch, but it seemed more investment than it was worth.

I have heard many have had success with this transfer using a beer gun, but I can't speak from experience on that.

Offline pcollins

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
You're fine.

Yes, sometimes breweries or growler refill places will put a tube on the end of a tap to get the beer to the bottom of the growler to ease up on foaming issues. I actually just run the tap for a bit into a glass to clear a bit of gas from the lines and transfer to the growler straight from the tap. Just keep the growler tipped and you should be fine.

Offline Wingeezer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Save the whales - Collect the whole set.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »
I haven't tried it yet because I am pretty new to the whole homebrewing hobby,  but I have set up several empty plastic one liter ginger ale bottles  with caps that I drilled installed metal tire valves.

I have added a gas line in my kegerator that terminates in a tire chuck.

My intention when filling a bottle or two to take to a picnic or friend's house  is to purge the empty bottle with CO2, fill with a hose stuck on my Perlick taps,  add the cap and give a shot of 10 psi CO2 via the tire valve in the cap.

Will it work?  Guess I will find out!   The bottles /modified do hold pressure fine - I checked them with compressed air and left the for a few days.

Brian.

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
I share my kegged beer using growlers.  Just tip it nice and keep the pressure real low, and you'll be fine.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline HolyFirkins

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • 1 Corinthians 10:31
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »
yes some places use a hose which goes to the bottom, others dont. i used to work a growler station and we didnt use a hose. we just poured beer straight from the tap into the growler then closed it up. in a screwtop growler, if unopened can stay carbonated for anywhere up to a month or so. a swing top could stay carbed even longer. however, once either of them are opened you really want to try to drink as much as possible so you dont waste any. i opened one swing top for 2 beers, and closed it up, stuck it in my fridge, less that 12 hours later i opened up for another and it was flat. so the key is, when you open one make sure you get out as much as possible.
Great beer is great..

modification