• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Temperature fluctuation

M

MTavis

Hey guys,

I have my first effort brewing in my primary fermentor.  Unfortunately I have not been able to keep the temperature consistently at 68 degrees.  I am brewing an ale that I started 6 days ago and while I was away for a weekend, it dropped to 62 degrees ( I presume for most of the weekend).  I got it back to the upper 60's now but the airlock is not that busy.  Is this a problem?

MTavis,
You did not mention if you saw any activity in the fermenter before the temps dropped. Assuming it was okay , it is possible that the fermentation was done before the temps dropped. In this case then all should be well. In the case the fermentation is "actually hung" it might be worth considering pitching yeast again.
If it is of any help, using a strong starter most of the fermentation in my latest batch was done in 4 days at about 70 degrees.

Disclaimer: I am still a VERY new brewer on my third batch

Take a gravity on it. If you consider it too high then try swirling the carboy a little. Do not shake it, at this point you don't want to introduce oxygen into the beer. After swirling it if it starts back up, your good to go. If it doesn't re-pitch new yeast. My gravities typically end between 1.008 and 1.017 depending on the O.G. and the yeast strain.

Shaking should have no impact.  There is / should be a CO2 blanket on the brew,  all the O2 should be either consumed or purged.

Fred

Back