• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry hopping with no bag?

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Anyone ever dry hop without a bag?

I'm out of hops bags and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a substitute?

Brad

I've never tried it, but panty hose (preferably unused) are often mentioned as a grain bag, and I've seen brewers saying that they used them with hops as well. Or, you could just throw them in loose and let them settle out, like a lot of brewers seem to do.

I've used cheese cloth for years...it's only .50 a square yard at any fabric store.  You just cut off a square from the end, put your hops or steeping grains in the middle (I leave the cloth folded over so it's double thick), tie the two opposite sides together in a knot, tie the last two opposite sides together in a knot, and drop it in.  Works like a champ for grains and I'd assume it'd work the same for dry hopping.

I have only dry hopped a few times (IPA mostly), but I just drop the pellets in as is and have not had any problems.

Steve,
 I'm willing to give it a try on the next batch - but does the hops eventually sink to the bottom?  I just don't want it sitting in my kegs/bottles.

Cheers!
Brad

I'm with ibrewalot, I use cheesecloth. But being a basic cheap scate, I tie the ends off with dental floss so I don't have to use as much cheesecloth. I then leave a long string of it out of the carboy so that it is easier to remove come cleaning time.

U.J.

I have dry hopped a number of times, IPA's a couple of imperial beers, mostly in the carboy and in a latest brew in the primary for a week after fermentation stopped. Each time I have used a hop bag, (small ones that only hold an oz of pellets in the carboy). I had on bag open once and 1 oz of hops floated on the top, I moved it to a tertiary and still have some floaties. Should not be a problem....  If you like hops (I do :) then go for it.

I found some cheap mesh bags smallest is 2 1/2 x4 bought 50 cost about .19 each before shipping.

;D

Back