Author Topic: Dry hopping with no bag?  (Read 8983 times)

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Dry hopping with no bag?
« on: October 04, 2003, 03:47:35 PM »
Anyone ever dry hop without a bag?

I'm out of hops bags and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a substitute?

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

cj_in_j

Re: Dry hopping with no bag?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 06:22:16 PM »
I've never tried it, but panty hose (preferably unused) are often mentioned as a grain bag, and I've seen brewers saying that they used them with hops as well. Or, you could just throw them in loose and let them settle out, like a lot of brewers seem to do.

Offline ibrewalot

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 02:03:39 AM »
I've used cheese cloth for years...it's only .50 a square yard at any fabric store.  You just cut off a square from the end, put your hops or steeping grains in the middle (I leave the cloth folded over so it's double thick), tie the two opposite sides together in a knot, tie the last two opposite sides together in a knot, and drop it in.  Works like a champ for grains and I'd assume it'd work the same for dry hopping.

Steve Ruch

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 11:46:18 AM »
I have only dry hopped a few times (IPA mostly), but I just drop the pellets in as is and have not had any problems.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 11:47:52 AM »
Steve,
 I'm willing to give it a try on the next batch - but does the hops eventually sink to the bottom?  I just don't want it sitting in my kegs/bottles.

Cheers!
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

unclejack

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 05:59:43 AM »
I'm with ibrewalot, I use cheesecloth. But being a basic cheap scate, I tie the ends off with dental floss so I don't have to use as much cheesecloth. I then leave a long string of it out of the carboy so that it is easier to remove come cleaning time.

U.J.

Guy_Fawkes

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 01:16:42 PM »
I have dry hopped a number of times, IPA's a couple of imperial beers, mostly in the carboy and in a latest brew in the primary for a week after fermentation stopped. Each time I have used a hop bag, (small ones that only hold an oz of pellets in the carboy). I had on bag open once and 1 oz of hops floated on the top, I moved it to a tertiary and still have some floaties. Should not be a problem....  If you like hops (I do :) then go for it.

I found some cheap mesh bags smallest is 2 1/2 x4 bought 50 cost about .19 each before shipping.

;D