• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fly Sparge

glienhard

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey Brad,

I do more of a fly sparge during my brewing process.  Unfortunately I have not found where to configure it correctly.  The sparging options do not really lend themselves to this kind of process.  I would be nice to have more control over that sparge box under the mash window.  If you need more details, let me know.

Cheers,
Garry

Garry,
I believe if you don't pick any of the BIAB or Batch Sparge options, BeerSmith will simply show the amount of water for fly sparging.

What else did you have in mind?

Brad

Hey Brad,

Thanks, I see what you are talking about.  What I'm looking for is to be able to modify the sparging box.  For instance, BeerSmith always says to fly sparge with xx gallons at 168F.  During sparge I want to raise my grain bed up to ~168F.  This would require heating the spage water up to the 190F range.  I'm looking for BeerSmith to allow me to modify the sparge options.  I have figured a way to trick it by using the Mash Out option, but it would be better if it was in the spage where it belongs.

Cheers,
Garry

Garry,

I was having the same issue.  Choosing the appropriate mash profile for fly sparging is not all that intuitive in BeerSmith.  I chose the standard method (Single Infusion, Medium Body) which showed an instruction to fly sparge, in addition to a Mash In and Mash Out step.  I just removed the Mash Out step, as I typically just start sparging until the water is about 1 inch above the grain bed, then I varlouf, then I start my runnings and turn the fly sparge back on.  I do this with 170F sparge water and have never had an issue.  I hope this helps.

Denny

Back