• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 2 Build 54 (Formal) Available

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
All,

NOTE MAC USERS I'm still looking for feedback from anyone running Tiger/Leopard with this new version as I no longer have these older operating systems on my Macs.  Please post a note at the end of this post if you have had a chance to run under Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5).

Update On 5 Dec I published two small changes (build 54) - one corrects issues with updating the same fields across multiple recipe tabs and the second allows the "form" of a hop to be carried from the database to a selection when adding hops to a recipe.

UPDATE: On 4 December I published build 53 which includes a critical "Equipment settings" bug that was preventing saving of some equipment profiles from within a recipe in certain cases (most noted on Mac).  It also has minor updates to improve scrolling via the scroll wheel.  Note that the "drag/drop" problem on the new Mac 64 bit build (reported below) has not yet been corrected.

I've just completed BeerSmith 2 Build 52 (now 54), which includes a number of bug fixes as well as the first 64-bit build for Macintosh.

- All versions are now available for download on the formal BeerSmith main download page

If you find problems specific to this build, please post them in this thread.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad:  The 64-bit version is working great on my MacBook Pro.  What are the advantages of BS2.0 on a 64-bit platform?

Mac introduced a 64-bit O/S in Snow Leopard (10.6), though earlier versions had some 64 bit application support.  Apple is moving towards all 64 bit in the future and their latest development tools (XCode 4.2 under Lion) are focused that way.  So at some point I needed to make the leap from Apple's older XCode and library to the new ones to support BeerSmith for the long term.

In this case, I also moved from their Carbon development library to Cocoa for this build which was a substantial change.  So while you might not see much on the surface, just about everything is different under the hood - which is why I want to wring this new build out a bit.

The other reason for moving to Cocoa/64 bit is the need to support the Mac App store.  While I still have some changes to make to comply with the Mac App "Sandbox", I want to offer BeerSmith on the Mac App store in the future.

Brad

Hi
I found one bug when switching equipment profiles - will likely post a quick fix in build 53 for it by tomorrow.

Let me know if anyone finds other issues.

Brad

I'm having difficulty moving recipes from one folder to another. The drag-and-drop seems to be out of sync?

Thanks!
  It does look like the "drag/drop" cursor on the Mac 64 bit build is offset and not where it should be.  I'm hoping it will be an easy fix.  I've been able to fix the "equipment" issue and will post it as build 53 tomorrow - I'll try to see if I can fix the drag/drop at the same time.

Has anyone had a chance to run this on an older (10.4 Leopard) Mac build?  I only have Lion and Snow Leopard at the moment and I want to make sure the latest build works with 10.4.

Brad

I upgraded my Mac OS on my Mac Book Pro recently and I am running the Lion OS.  I have periodically received an error message about a file being bad or corrupted but was always able to bring up BS2 and enter new recipes.  Today when I went to bring up the program I received the error message that "a copy of BS2 is already up and running and you can't run 2 copies at once".  I don't have BS running on any other computer other than the MacBook Pro so I don't understand why I am getting this message.  I downloaded Build 53 and installed it but when I again attempted to bring up BS2 I received the same error message.  At this point I am locked out of the program and need to know what to do to get it up and running again.  Thanks.

Hi,
  Try opening the Apple Force Quit (possibly an image is still running on your machine).  Click on the Apple icon on the menu, Force Quit and check to see if BeerSmith is still running.

Generally if you have a crash and BeerSmith stops running you will get an error about a "lock file" being present - which you can go past to run the program.  However the fact that you are getting a "copy already running" indicates there may still be a copy running in the background.

Finally, if you can't find BeerSmith on the force quit menu try just doing a reboot of your Mac - its possible upgrading the O/S if the program was already running created problems - but a reboot should reset it.

Also I just uploaded build 54 which has a few additional bug fixes though none would be related to this particular issue.

Brad

I tried the things that you suggested but no luck.  I was receiving the "lock file" error message and as you mention was able to enter the program anyway but this problem with the additional copy running error message just came up today when I tried to go into BS2.  The first thing that I did was shut down and do a hard reboot.  Didn't help.  The next thing was to install the latest build for the Mac (54) but the additional copy error message came up again.  Really don't know what to do short of uninstalling the program and trying to reinstall it.  Thanks.

That's very odd - I'm running Lion here on an upgraded machine and have found nothing like that.

What I would suggest trying:
  - Rename your Documents/BeerSmith2 directory to something else.  Its possible (though unlikely) that it is hanging on reading or writing some file data or perhaps a corrupt file when you try to open it.
  - Reboot the computer so you have a clean start
  - Run the program which will create a new Documents/BeerSmith2 directory - with default data in it (you may get the lock file message, but you can OK past that)
  - See if you can close it and reopen it now
  - If you can you could then try opening your Recipe.bsm or other files from the old BeerSmith2 directory (the one you renamed in step 1) to copy/paste your recipes or other data over again.

Brad

FYI, did find a bug in build 53 that would not allow the notes field within any note to be saved.  Same result whether changing or adding a new note.  Build 54 fixed the issue.

Mark

Brad,

Have the new version on my MBP, and it won't run.  I have leopard 10.5.8  I tried restarting the computer, and it still hangs. 

here is the report it wants to send to apple.  the prior revision works fine.  If this can't be fixed soon, could you please send me the older version?

Process:        BeerSmith2 [272]
Path:            /Applications/BeerSmith2.app/Contents/MacOS/BeerSmith2
Identifier:      BeerSmith-LLC.BeerSmith2
Version:        ??? (???)
Code Type:      X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [152]

Interval Since Last Report:          829 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:          6
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  0 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:  5

Date/Time:      2011-12-07 20:24:15.998 -0500
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Report Version:  6
Anonymous UUID:  381F1E8A-B9C4-48EC-8846-322775E122E6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_NSURL
  Referenced from: /Applications/BeerSmith2.app/Contents/MacOS/BeerSmith2
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation

Just a quick update.  I replaced the new version with the old, the old version is working.

Best regards,

Thanks
  The error appears to be related to the 64 bit version of BeerSmith.  While Leopard (10.5) supports 64 bit in theory, in practice Apple bundled its latest development tools for 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and above, and some of the runtime classes (such as the one you note above) moved under Snow Leopard.

I'm going to explore trying to rework this with the older 10.4 (Leopard) SDK, but it may take me a few days to complete it.

For those still running the base Leopard (10.5) here is a link to the old download until I can find a solution for this:
  http://beersmith.com/download/BeerSmith2_50.dmg

Brad

Hi,
  Here's a "beta" of the BeerSmith 2 build 54 in 32 bit mode.  I'm going to post this on the main download page once i've had a chance to do additional testing.
    http://beersmith.com/download/BeerSmith2_54_32.dmg

Let me know if you have problems with it!

Brad

just updated this morning mac lion 10.7.2 with the latest build and the help file is missing, any thoughts?

Thanks, Brad.

I'm in the same drag and drop situation.

Lion on a MBP

BeerSmith said:
Thanks!
  It does look like the "drag/drop" cursor on the Mac 64 bit build is offset and not where it should be.  I'm hoping it will be an easy fix.

Hi,
  I just posted a fix (did not bump the version) for the help file issue.  The help files were in the 64 bit build but stored in the wrong location.  If you download the mac 64 bit version and install it again it will restore the help files.  Its on the MAIN download page at beersmith.com

I have not been able to resolve the Drag/Drop on the 64 bit version, but you can run the 32 bit (Leopard) download under Snow Leopard or Lion if you need drag/drop.

Brad

Back