• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Great Western Malting

Rusty Nails

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Living in the NW, I use a lot of GW malts. I have entered them in my grain list, and am willing to share them. HOWEVER! Although I deal with structural engineers, mechanical engineers, etc. and can use large data and CAD programs with ease, I have no abilities with what someone else may call simple tasks. I.E., making the grain data available.
To be honest, I grew up with a slide rule. In fact, the grandkids have to delete the pictures of the inside of my pocket off my cell phone.
If someone could give this old computer dummy some help in sharing the data, that would be great!!
In the meantime, I am working on Canada Malting.
BTW, I notice hops are listed by country of origin, but I have been entering mine broken down by the farm they came from. This is info the local supplier I use provides, and sometimes it makes a difference. If someone is interested, I can help with this data. Or, it may be too much info.
Thanks.
Ed (Rusty Nails)

Hi,
  Many of the Great Western malts are already available as a package from the "Add-ons" button.

However if you want to export them to a BSMX file (or any missing hops we don't have) I can make them available to others.  Select the items, right click and use the Export Selected to export them to a BSMX file from Hops or Grain view.

Brad

Rusty Nails said:
To be honest, I grew up with a slide rule.

Rusty,

I too grew up using a slide rule.  Even worse, I grew up with logarithm tables.

The Library of Congress still employs several elevator operators.  But I don't know of any jobs for slide-rule pushers or logarithm-looker-uppers.  So I think we've becoming part of that "planned obsolescence" thing.

Dave

GREAT WESTERN MALT - SUPERIOR PILSEN does not seem to be in the list

Unfortunately, the product information from the GW web site and downloaded data sheets does not have the extract percentage. They list moisture, protein, color and flavor profile but not the FG or CG extract percentage of the diastatic power. That means you don't have enough information to enter it into BeerSmith. You would have to contact them directly to get more information.

--GF

Back