• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Very first brew question

kcreiglow

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all, my first brew ever was last night. It was a kit red ale recipe. I read the directions more than once but I still messed up by putting the fining packet into the wort along with the gelatin packet.  I now see that I should of reserved the gelatin to put into the fermentation bucket the day the bubbling stops to help with clarity.
So, my two part question is... Did I ruin my brew?  As of right now it's actively fermenting.
Also, should I go to the shop and buy another gelatin packet to pitch into my brew once it stops fermenting?

Thanks to all.  I can't wait to drink my first home made brew!

The gelatin might affect the body of the beer but probably not much. 

Why not skip the gelatin the first time around and see how clear your beer comes out.  It is only for clarity though it can take some flavor compounds down with it.

It should be uncommon to need gelatin and finings but it does happen.

Thanks for the input... I will do as suggested and just not worry about adding the gelatin since I mistakingly did so during the wort brew.
I've read days worth of websites, forums and u tube about home brewing but I think I need to take a beginners class or watch someone do it before I will understand everything.

I found How to Brew by John Palmer the absolute best book I ever bought for brewing.  I have referred back to that book numerous times since reading it cover to cover.  I have 20 or more books on beer making.  This remains the best book to learn to brew.

I also listened to all the Brew Strong podcasts from The Brewing Network during my daily commute.  There is great depth of information to learn from. 

Then, brewing as often as you can.  You need to get into a groove.

Don't sweat your first brew. It will be way better than any BMC you've ever had. Gelatin is when you're in a hurry. It clears the beer. Just for looks. Gravity, patience and time will make any beer look crystal clear.  But you can worry about that later. Like batch number 28 or 98. Just enjoy the magic you made now and focus on the next brew day.  You would be amazed at how many mistakes you will make. You will even be more amazed at how many mistakes will still give you an awesome beer to enjoy regardless of "messing up".
There is so much to learn on how to hone your skills and knowledge. But there is no rush. a few rules to remember.
Never dump it.
Time can heal many beers.
Make sanitation important.
Have fun with this.
Whenever you panic, go with the flow and (in the immortal words): RDWHAHB Relax, don't worry, have a home brew. I'm sort of new. Only 80+ batches under my belt. I screw something up almost every brew day. Only one batch was nasty. It was fine after several months in the bottle.
JUST KEEP BREWING, it will come to you! Congrats!!!!!!!

Back