• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost Some of my Style

wahoo

Brewer
Reaction score
There is definitely a bug which is causing partial loss of data on my system.  If you remember, a week or two ago, I lost my recipes and had to retrieve them from Recipes5.bsmx.

I noticed the other day that I had some styles missing.  I thought perhaps that this was a result of my original data corruption, so I opened an old copy of StylesX.bsmx and copied in all of the styles to my active Styles profile.

I realized at that point that beersmith created duplicates of many of the styles, which does make sense.  I deleted a few duplicates and then made a note to myself to go back and clean this up at a later point in time.

I logged in this morning and noticed that my Styles are gone once again.

I think the fact that I use this on 2 machines on a shared folder must be causing some type of corruption in the DB.  I used this same model with Beersmith 1.4 and never had any problems.

Attachments

• tempFileFolder.jpg
    tempFileFolder.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 515
  • tempstyles.jpg
    tempstyles.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 524
Hi,
  Yes - the problem is almost certainly that you are running on two machines.  BeerSmith does not have any data protection (neither did BeerSmith 1.4) so it is possible if you have two copies running for one to overwrite the other - since they periodically autosave.

I recommend if you use a shared drive, that you be very careful to leave only one copy running at a time or they could potentially overwrite each other and cause corruption of the files.

Brad

I've never run them both simultaneously.  I also have never edited a style, which leads me to think this is some sort of data corruption issue. 

Hi,
  The other possibility is a bad options setting - check the Options Dialog->Brewing Tab and see which "Display Style Guide" is set - if you don't have a valid entry here such as BJCP 2008 it will not display the styles correctly.

Brad

Back