• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith under Linux

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Several people have asked how to run BeerSmith under Linux using WINE:

Thanks to Eric we now know the answer...

http://www.beersmith.com/linux_compatability.htm

Cheers!
Brad

Using instructions on the website to install under Wine.

Although the program opens and operates for me, I'm having a problem with display of text in the ingredient section for a recipe.  The quantities show but the actual ingredient does not.  I think it is a font issue, but unsure.

Any tips for resolving?

I've tried copying tahoma.ttf to \fonts folder under wine.

Hi,
 I'm not sure which display you are talking about.  If you are talking about the general recipe input dialog, then I believe it is using the standard system font which I think is MS SANS SERIF on most systems.

If you are having problems with the display of the reports in the preview window, then you can look at the templates in the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith\templates directory which has the HTML template files used to generate most of the reports.

Brad

Wow,
 I have no idea what would be causing this as the display is just a generic system font.  I will check the code tonight to make sure I'm not doing anything funny with the fonts in that section, however.  Very strange...

Cheers
Brad

Just wondering, did anyone ever figure out what was going on here? I just tried the demo version, I would like to register, but...

Thanks,
Mattox

Yes,
  I believe it was traced down to a WINE bug.  WINE has since released a patch to fix this.  See the following thread:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=897.0

Brad

Yep, that fixed it.  The patch is in the Ubuntu edgy-eft update now, too.  Off to get my registration key....  Thanks!

- Mattox

Back