• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to calculate final IBUs in BeerSmith when First Wort Hopping?

caseyws

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm trying my first attempt at FWH this weekend. I've been reading a lot about it but it seems like a slightly mysterious process. The general consensus seems to be that when you FWH, the final bitterness  you perceive is less than what it would be if you added the hops at a full boil (similar to if you added the hops around the 30min or 20min mark), due to some chemical reactions that occur which bind some of the alpha acids or some other similar voodoo.

Looking for advice from anyone who has successfully created and brewed recipes in BeerSmith utilizing the FWH technique. Do you adjust/reduce the FWH boil time in BeerSmith (for example, enter 20 minutes for a 60 minute boil), or do you stick with the actual amount of time the hops are boiled? How close are the results to the recipe (ie more bitter or less bitter)? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Hope my question makes sense!

Back