Author Topic: Using BeerSmith 2 for Pro Brewing (Scaling Recipes)  (Read 60887 times)

Offline Cisco

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Brew Master with 38 years experience
Re: Using BeerSmith 2 for Pro Brewing (Scaling Recipes)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
I'm getting ready to brew my first batch on a 3 1/2 barrel system. I've made test batches on my pilot 10 gallon system and I'm ready to start sizing up my recipes. On my pilot system I use whole hops and have a boiler screen that filters the wort on the way out and I usually add my last hop addition 20 to 15 min. before end of boil. My 3 1/2 barrel system can only use hop pellets and therefore I have to possibly move my normal late hop addition to the whirlpool/steep step. What concerns me is the hop utilization during the 20 min. whirlpool and 20 min rest before moving the wort through my wort chiller. I see that BS2 has a Whirlpool/Steep option for hop additions but how accurate have you found this to be? All advice is appreciated!

Offline selvaseria

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:35 AM »
Hi, I’m a Catalan micro-brewery that uses Beersmith to design recipes. I have changed my personal pc so I need to transfer all my recipes, profiles of equipment, malt, hops, yeast etc to the new laptop. I got the key and I can export recipes, but I can’t export profiling equipment , malt, hops and yeast, could you help me please? Thank you very much for your help

Offline iWeasel

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 12:50:07 PM »
Hi, I’m a Catalan micro-brewery that uses Beersmith to design recipes. I have changed my personal pc so I need to transfer all my recipes, profiles of equipment, malt, hops, yeast etc to the new laptop. I got the key and I can export recipes, but I can’t export profiling equipment , malt, hops and yeast, could you help me please? Thank you very much for your help

In my version of Beersmith, you can right-click any profile or ingredient and select Export... Save the file(s) to a USB, say, and import to the new set up. Have you tried this?

Offline crswerd

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »
So your basically saying anything 20 gal. or under should simply use the scale button without changing hop utilization etc.?  Just simply plugging in a 5 gallon recipe and scaling to 10 gallons is just a matter of changing the scale and I can feel confident in the hop additions scale?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:17:33 PM by crswerd »

Offline rcarvalho55

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
Am I right to say that I can upscale a 5 gal batch recipe in BS to a 1bbl by simply multiplying all figures by 6? And by figures I mean grains, hops, water and yeast.

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 04:52:12 AM »
Am I right to say that I can upscale a 5 gal batch recipe in BS to a 1bbl by simply multiplying all figures by 6? And by figures I mean grains, hops, water and yeast.

Not exactly. Scaling is designed to match the recipe to the differing specs of equipment. The larger the volume jump, the more a small rounding error can become an issue. For instance, I have a 40 bbl recipe that takes just 10 lbs of black malt. A 5 gallon version would just calculate 0.645 oz. Well, that's a bit impractical, but, do we round that up or down? If then scaled back up, you can see how it won't line up with the original number.

When going from small to large, you first have to just give it a reality check. Think about the flavor impact of the grain and adjust accordingly. That's what being a pro brewer is all about!
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.