Author Topic: Transfer from old computer to new computer  (Read 11820 times)

Offline warra48

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Transfer from old computer to new computer
« on: August 20, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
My old computer is playing up, so I've purchased a new desktop tower. I've installed BeerSmith 2.0.40 onto my new computer, but I need some guidance on how to transfer all my data from my old computer to the new one. The old computer will no longer connect to the internet, so I assume it needs to be done via flashdrive. I don't have an external hard drive. The new computer runs on Windows 7 Home Premium.

A step by step guide would be extrememely appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:30:50 AM by warra48 »

Offline PiaPete

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Transfer from old computer to new computer
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 02:46:43 PM »
I'm in the same boat.  The import feature doesn't seem to work on the new computer in that it will not scan my computer for the .bsm or .bsmx file.

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
Hi,
  If the old one is running BeerSmith 2 you can just copy your entire Documents/BeerSmith2 directory over to the same location on the new machine.

If you are running BeerSmith 1.4 the best thing to do is export your recipes (Export Command) to a BSM file and then open them on the new machine.  After opening them you need to copy/paste the items you want to keep into your My Recipes directory.

For other data (Equipment) you can do the same - export your equipment profiles to a BSM file and then open it and copy/paste in BeerSmith2.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline BenH

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:18:18 AM »
For BeerSmith 1.4, I found that I could do this quickly and easily by:

1. find all the .bsm files from the old computer - C:\Program Files\BeerSmith
2. copied these to a networked disk or USB
3. install BeerSmith on new computer
4. copied all BSM files into the same folder as above (over-write the files) - my new computer was Windows 7 so folder was C:\Program Files (x86)\BeerSmith
5. open BeerSmith and it's exactly like on the old computer!  All equipment, yeast, grains, hops, water, recipies, etc!

modification