• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Transfer from old computer to new computer

warra48

Apprentice
Reaction score
My old computer is playing up, so I've purchased a new desktop tower. I've installed BeerSmith 2.0.40 onto my new computer, but I need some guidance on how to transfer all my data from my old computer to the new one. The old computer will no longer connect to the internet, so I assume it needs to be done via flashdrive. I don't have an external hard drive. The new computer runs on Windows 7 Home Premium.

A step by step guide would be extrememely appreciated.

I'm in the same boat.  The import feature doesn't seem to work on the new computer in that it will not scan my computer for the .bsm or .bsmx file.

Hi,
  If the old one is running BeerSmith 2 you can just copy your entire Documents/BeerSmith2 directory over to the same location on the new machine.

If you are running BeerSmith 1.4 the best thing to do is export your recipes (Export Command) to a BSM file and then open them on the new machine.  After opening them you need to copy/paste the items you want to keep into your My Recipes directory.

For other data (Equipment) you can do the same - export your equipment profiles to a BSM file and then open it and copy/paste in BeerSmith2.

Brad

For BeerSmith 1.4, I found that I could do this quickly and easily by:

1. find all the .bsm files from the old computer - C:\Program Files\BeerSmith
2. copied these to a networked disk or USB
3. install BeerSmith on new computer
4. copied all BSM files into the same folder as above (over-write the files) - my new computer was Windows 7 so folder was C:\Program Files (x86)\BeerSmith
5. open BeerSmith and it's exactly like on the old computer!  All equipment, yeast, grains, hops, water, recipies, etc!

Back