• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Why is there no configuration for HLT in equipment settings ?

adam01

Brewer
Reaction score
I use a cooler as a HLT. Thus it has a preheating time and a temp differential like the MLT for adding
water.  Also, in transferring water from it to the MLT, it loses temp.

Would you consider adding in HLT equipment settings so that these temp adjustments can be factored in
instead of me having to pencil them in and keeping track recipe from recipe.

Thanks.

Hi,
  I don't have a setup like this - so could you tell me what additional fields and calculations might be needed?

Brad

As someone who would also benefit from this feature, my opinion on how to set this up is no different then how your Mash Tun is setup.

People either use 15gallon kegs, or coolers for the HTL's.    if someone grabs the 5 gallon cooler profile, the thermal mass for the HLT, should be the same as the Mash tun. And again for the 10 gallon and 15gallon keg setups.

I use and excel sheet to calculate my target sparge water infusion into my HLT, but it would be vary nice to include that into the mash profile page.

Additionally, I would find it extremely useful if there was an area to record your mash/hlt strike temp deltas.  Meaning, after mash in, your final resting temp = A, target =B. 

2 Cents.

I agree, it should be pretty much the same as the Mash Tun, including Volume, Weight, Specific Heat and Deadspace. This way, just  like for the mash tun, BeerSmith tells us how much and what temp water to add to the HLT, compensating for thermal mass and deadspace.

Also, I would like to add a line item to the MLT strike water calc for the temp lost during the grain/H2O addition and breaking up the doughballs. I have found that the mash temp drops about 3° due to evaporation while I'm stirring the grain and breaking up all of the doughballs. A simple line item that adds this temperature delta to the equipment profile would be really nice. For anyone else that doesn't want or need this feature, they could simply zero it out, and it wouldn't have any impact.

Thanks for your continued support Brad. BeerSmith is already an awesome tool, and you continue to improve it!

I too would like to add my support for this request.  I have been a ProMash user for a lot of years and have had very good success with how it works with my two tier system..  With the lack of development of ProMash and my fear of O.S's passing this software up, I have been strongly looking at BeerSmith. I looked at BeerSmith years ago when development stopped on ProMash and I was impressed at how it was coming along but some things weren't intuitively obvious like ProMash.  I almost pulled the trigger on a purchase of BeerSmith software last week, but after trying to evaluate/compare how it works and trying to duplicate my equipment profiles, I too was shocked that an HLT wasn't accounted for.  I could not replicate the "Water Needed" figures that ProMash so easily accounts for.  What about the residual water left in a hopback, counter flow chiller or other absorption/other equipment loss? These are accounted for in ProMash.  Take a look at ProMash and if you are able to match that aspect for the equipment profile, I would buy BeerSmith tomorrow.

BTW, this is my very first post to this forum. In most other areas, BeerSmith far exceeds the current version of ProMash, that is why I thought this topic and request was worthy of a comment.

Back