• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Not so much a competition.

dogma46an2

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have been contemplation this thought , and playing with the idea in my head a bit .

If Brad is cool with this.

I see alot of people on here with different, ideas, takes, techniques,and general ways to do things via brewing .
I was thinking about getting together a Style and a certain recipe that everyone would have to go by
and using your beersmith program . and see what everyones take is on it

for example:
we get a list of everyone who wants to do this.
we pick a style .
we decide on or have Brad or someone decide a recipe .
everyone who is in for this has to follow the recipe .
(not techniques but the ingredients to a T.)
same grains hops yeast etc.....
we figure a weekend that everyone can do it (this way we all finish about the same time )
then (if brad is cool with this ) we send a six pack to brad . Brad keeps two of each (one for him and his buddy) then maybe have Brad send us all like a four pack (like four different brews from four different people or if there are enough then a six pack )or something of the different brews from different places . so that we can see how everyones doing and how their final product is coming out .Then we can all get a read out of what each persons way of doing was  So that we may have a base line of what everyone is doing in there own little brewery .

I don't know it is just an idea I was tossing around .
My brewmasters group here do one every year like this past year we did a Dotty beer aka lawnmower BMC clones to see who could come up with the best shit beer more or less . it was a comp i guess . i mean you didnt win anything but the chance to pick what next years comp was .

But I would like to see this implemented  from around states and beyond .

It sounds like fun and may turn into something great . if you guys have any ideas or want to do this post about it here and lets figure out something so we can get this started ....

:)

I'd do that. Sounds like a lot of work for Brad though. Maybe just send in two beers, and guys could swap their brews privately. That way the beers could be judged, but the burden of shipping beer all over the country won't fall on Brad.

The comp part would probably work best as a club-run competition that used this idea as the source for the beers.  A single-style comp would be interesting. 

Enough judges would be needed, so a club-approach may be necessary.  Assuming you wanted actual score sheets in return and not just verbal feedback. 

The sharing part could be handled via the Swap Meet board here.  Brewers with system-design in common (or totally different) could share as they wanted. 

Ingredients, recipe, software all equal would reveal differences in water, technique and process? 

Well I feel if you are on the beer smith forum then you are part of a club .
And yes I agree it would be alot of work for Brad .
I do not agree we should send a couple of brews via Brads way because I am not wanting a comp. but a look into everyone else's brewing  but that we send a six pack and then it be shipped out via everyones ones way that participated.
If that means send a few bucks with the six pack then that is ok too.
The reason I pick Brad out is because he already has your info via shipping and that way it isn't send out openly . This is merely an idea .
We can totally blow this up to be an event .
I just figured with everyone so involved in the forum with question and or answers . We could see how everyones doing via a control. See what is working best See what people are doing that is making better beer . But rather just seeing it on the net via text you could hold it in your hand and test for yourself .

Really I just want to try everyone else's brew via a control . So that I may see what I am doing wrong and or right .  Plus we would get beer out of it lol.
and thats the real win .

I think its a "tasty" idea. Just might need a independent moderator to take care of the particulars and shipping and such (so Brad doesn't have to). Someone who wouldn't mind volunteering their time and resources to the project. If Brads down with it he could be the head judge and receive a sample from every entry. Like you said everyone would send in a six pack and a few bucks as an entry fee. The entry fee would be solely for shipping. Small price to pay for a few unique brews! This sounds like alot of fun and I hope it gets off the ground. I would definitely want to participate!

Back