Author Topic: HERMS stir water  (Read 2987 times)

Offline BruceBrew

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
HERMS stir water
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »
Anyone using a HERMS system? I am building a new heat exchanger in a smaller (2 gal) Rubbermaid cooler. I'm using a copper coil and heat stick mounted thru the lid. Basically I circulate the beer thru the coil which is immersed in a temp controlled water bath. I need to circulate the water to even out the temperature but space on the top of the lid is precious and offers little room for a motorized unit.
My question is has anyone used these little submersible water pumps they use in decorative fountains to circulate water? I tested one out and it seemed to work great but I'm not convinced it will hold up to contant 160 degree temps.

Bruce

Bruce

Offline Rylan

Re: HERMS stir water
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
I would not do it personally because:
a) the pump probably won't last long at that temperature
b) grease from the pumps mechanical components will almost surely end up in your beer - these things are not designed for use in food grade situations!
c) high temperatures cause plastics to off gas like crazy (probably the least of your concerns here)

EDIT:
oops I just re-read what you said a bit more carefully and I see now you are trying to pump the cooling water not the wort, wellllllll in that case B and C don't really apply, but A still does.
I would go with something like this guy here, it's able to pump 1 Liter per minute and is safe to 105º C which is above the boiling point so this will definitely handle your application. It is also a DC pump so there is no risk of electric shock like an AC pump might have...
http://www.amazon.com/temperature-approval-coffee-process-application/dp/B004HHW0FU
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:16:42 PM by Rylan »

Offline BruceBrew

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:35:03 AM »
Great find Rylan .... I'll use this little fountain pump until it dies. I agree that it will probably won't last very long. In the mean time I'll look into your suggested pump option. I'll see if I can find an AC version.

Bruce

Bruce

Offline BruceBrew

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »
Just a quick note to let Rylan know that the little DC pump you directed me to works like a charm. Just used and old 6 volt power supply brick I had laying around to run it. It kicks out a pretty good flow ... certainly enough to keep all the water in the 2 gallon jug at an even temperature.

:D

Bruce

Bruce