Author Topic: BeerSmith2 'Equipment Profile' set-up for new all-grainers.  (Read 87368 times)

Offline jessicajames

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: BeerSmith2 'Equipment Profile' set-up for new all-grainers.
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »
Firstly I am new here, not new to brewing been doing that for 40 years but new to Beer Smith.
I was always puzzled about the Equipment Profile, what it meant, what it was for, what it did. Sorry but I still am.
I mash (nowadays) in an insulated bin thingy sparge and boil in a boiler and ferment in a fermenting vessel. Then I ferment for a while and Cask.
Efficiency is Output divided by Input pure and simple. Each individual step has it's own efficiency but the overall is what we get for what we put in.
For instance Boil efficiency is variable dependant upon the diameter of the boil vessel. Having put 30 odd litres of liquor in there it does not matter how many hops you put in because they are extra and will fill the space at the bottom of the boiler as a filter. They have no effect on efficiency except perhaps to improve it.
It's the same with the mash. It dose not matter how much water is absorbed or space taken up by the spent grains because sparge will continue until the runoff is at a low value or enough is collected. I get bored before either.

This exasperated reply is because I cannot see what the fuss is about or the discussion or the parameter in the application.

With apologies.
James

Offline brewfun

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • STAND BACK! I'm going to try Science!
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 07:02:12 AM »
Firstly I am new here, not new to brewing been doing that for 40 years but new to Beer Smith.

Welcome!

I, too, have decades of experience, plus some other credentials.

I was always puzzled about the Equipment Profile, what it meant, what it was for, what it did. Sorry but I still am.
I mash (nowadays) in an insulated bin thingy sparge and boil in a boiler and ferment in a fermenting vessel. Then I ferment for a while and Cask.

This implies that you do not share or collect recipes, and that you've never concerned yourself with consistency. If either were true, then some data about your thingys would be relevant to you.

Efficiency is Output divided by Input pure and simple. Each individual step has it's own efficiency but the overall is what we get for what we put in.

Yes, and no. Overall is EXACTLY what BeerSmith measures since it is targeting the fermenter. However, long standing tradition is to measure in the kettle for mash efficiency. The latter is a process point measurement, not the overall. Since the former is a different measurement point, the how & why bear discussion, which is further proven by the length of the replies.

For instance Boil efficiency is variable dependent upon the diameter of the boil vessel.

This is incomplete. Other factors such as heat power density, btu transfer and ambient humidity are also factors.

Having put 30 odd litres of liquor in there it does not matter how many hops you put in because they are extra and will fill the space at the bottom of the boiler as a filter. They have no effect on efficiency except perhaps to improve it.

I can't agree with you on this. If there is any liquid whatsoever trapped, then it represents a loss of efficiency. Since hops are decidedly more wet after a boil than before, there must be some loss. Again, Brewhouse efficiency accounts for this, mash efficiency does not. Add to that the trub that is best left behind, and the loss is easily measurable.

It's the same with the mash. It dose not matter how much water is absorbed or space taken up by the spent grains because sparge will continue until the runoff is at a low value or enough is collected. I get bored before either.

Perhaps some new brewing books will alleviate the boredom while waiting for a full kettle?  ;)  I'm always adding to my brewing library. Ingredients, techniques and overall understanding about the brewing process continue to be studied, discussed and used to make better and better beer.

This exasperated reply is because I cannot see what the fuss is about or the discussion or the parameter in the application.

At it's most basic, it is a way to predict the total amount of grain needed to achieve closely similar results on various systems. Most brewers share recipes and ideas with an eye towards flavor targets, rather than chance. Brewhouse efficiency adapts the results of one brewing system to the capabilities of another.

Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline wce_82

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Slow Cooker homebrew set up
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 06:39:08 PM »
Hello fellow brewers,

Need help with setting up a profile. Im a biab brewer and have my profile for that setup and seems to be working well. I have seen a brewing method using a 2 vessel system using a slow cooker, for small batches. I am trying to set it up and obviously must be missing something.

The slow cooker volume is 6L and was planning on using approx 15L pot for my boil hoping to get anywhere from 6-9L as finished beer. The drama I am having is that beersmith always tells me I need to fill my mash tun (slow cooker) up with 7L of water which will overflow even before the grain is added.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Offline BYRONPEL

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 12:59:41 AM »
There is no way of opening a .bsmx file either in windows 10 or imac.internet explorer won't open,word pad will give coded readout,and co on.
Thanks

Offline txpitmaster

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
if its an xml file you should be able to open in note pad or note pad + after associating the file type to it.  A few years ago I was using notepad + to edit xml files for an online game...

Offline jopakent

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
So I'm still a little frustrated. I've gone through and set up my equipment profile so now all of my numbers seem right. But when I use this profile in a recipe, the mash tab doesn't seem to be accurate. In round numbers, I'm thinking I'll need about 7 gallons of water to get my 5 gallon batch. However, teh Mash in description says 18.63 qts. I thought that setting up my profile would trigger a change in the Mash instructions.

For now, I guess I'll adjust the numbers myself. Or is this what I'm supposed to do. I'm confused.

Online Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2016, 11:08:05 AM »
Right off hand, I would ask what the volume BeerSmith is projecting for sparge water.  You give us a volume for mash-in, but if you have a sparge step, the balance of the water demand may be in that step.

If you export a recipe using your equipment and mash profile as a .bsmx file and post it here, we can try to figure out if there is anything else which is giving you such a low number for water volume.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline ignacevachon

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2017, 07:33:12 PM »
For 10 gallon batches (this is my first brew with some new equipment), what should I set my fermenter loss to? Is it double the loss of a 5 gallon batch? I will of course adjust it after my for batch.

Online Oginme

• Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2017, 05:20:00 AM »
That would be a good starting point.  The fermenter loss does not affect the rest of the brewing calculations since BeerSmith calculates volumes based upon the volume into the fermenter.  The fermenter loss is more for estimating your net yield for the purpose of carbonating.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline DashaFew

• DashaFewTO
  • BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
BeerSmith2 Equipment Profile set up for new all grainers
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2017, 10:52:14 PM »
Hello Chuck, I have a very portable cooler rig that you are more than welcome to use for a brew. I can also help with the tutorial to get you going.  I can also provide a suggestion for a first batch that will help get you going.  its very easy, once you have sanitation, the boil process and fermentation down then moving to all grain is nothing more than making oatmeal ok a little more but still easy. my email is in your pm, send me an email

Offline Kevin58

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 12:03:32 PM »
This series of videos helped me a lot. This one is equipment profile setup but he also has videos for mash setup, BIAB and batch sparge setup.

https://youtu.be/QmW7pwQP5mQ

modification