• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HERMS stir water

BruceBrew

Apprentice
Reaction score
Anyone using a HERMS system? I am building a new heat exchanger in a smaller (2 gal) Rubbermaid cooler. I'm using a copper coil and heat stick mounted thru the lid. Basically I circulate the beer thru the coil which is immersed in a temp controlled water bath. I need to circulate the water to even out the temperature but space on the top of the lid is precious and offers little room for a motorized unit.
My question is has anyone used these little submersible water pumps they use in decorative fountains to circulate water? I tested one out and it seemed to work great but I'm not convinced it will hold up to contant 160 degree temps.

Bruce

I would not do it personally because:
a) the pump probably won't last long at that temperature
b) grease from the pumps mechanical components will almost surely end up in your beer - these things are not designed for use in food grade situations!
c) high temperatures cause plastics to off gas like crazy (probably the least of your concerns here)

EDIT:
oops I just re-read what you said a bit more carefully and I see now you are trying to pump the cooling water not the wort, wellllllll in that case B and C don't really apply, but A still does.
I would go with something like this guy here, it's able to pump 1 Liter per minute and is safe to 105º C which is above the boiling point so this will definitely handle your application. It is also a DC pump so there is no risk of electric shock like an AC pump might have...
http://www.amazon.com/temperature-approval-coffee-process-application/dp/B004HHW0FU

Great find Rylan .... I'll use this little fountain pump until it dies. I agree that it will probably won't last very long. In the mean time I'll look into your suggested pump option. I'll see if I can find an AC version.

Bruce

Just a quick note to let Rylan know that the little DC pump you directed me to works like a charm. Just used and old 6 volt power supply brick I had laying around to run it. It kicks out a pretty good flow ... certainly enough to keep all the water in the 2 gallon jug at an even temperature.

:D

Bruce

Back