• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

False bottom settings...

grahame

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Brad,

I was wondering what you thought of this

When I first saw the the option under Equipment to "adjust mash volume for dead space" I was very excited, but I am not sure it is working correctly.

I use a false bottom in my mash tun, and I need to add 4 litres of water to the tun before it just covers the false bottom. In addition to this, the tun itself has a dead space of 0.2L. I therefore put in the dead space in the equipment settings as 4.2L, and I tick the box adjust mash volume for dead space...

This all works up to a point - beersmith calculates the extra 4 litres of mash water needed and adds this to the initial volume. However, it still thinks I will leave 4.2L behind in the tun, and as I batch sparge, it adds an extra 2L to each batch in order to compensate for this, giving me an excess of 4L in the boiler (since I will get back that 4L under the false bottom on the first batch run-off).

At the moment, I work around this by just adding my dead space as 0.2L and leave the adjust mash volume for dead space unticked. I then choose my mash as normal in the recipe creation, and I edit the mash step by adding an extra 4L to the volume beersmith calculates.  Beersmith then correctly deducts 4L from the 1st batch topup calculation and all continues from normal..

It would be good if there was an automatic way to do this though, as it is easy to overlook manually editing the batch stage.

Hope this makes sense!

Grahame

Thanks,
  Yes - the dead space is treated as a loss (which in some ways makes sense). 

Its hard to cover every possible case - but I'll continue to refine this as we go.

Brad

Back