• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stuck sparge syndrome

J

JT

OK, so I converted to All Grain with a twist I brew big ten gallon batches.  Way to brew!  I now partial mash 10 to 12 lbs of grain and add extracts in the boil for 12.5 gallon boil and 10 gallon finish to the conical fermentor.
But….  I have the worst time with the stuck sparge syndrome.   :'(
Some background, I use a converted Gott 5 gallon cooler with a Stainless dome ‘filter’ bottom connected thru copper hose to the ball valve in the tank wall.  Water typically runs thru at quick pace, add grain and she shuts down, very frustrating.  :mad:

Reading the forum over and over and adjusting my techniques haven’t proven any different.
I tried adding rice hulls with no change.
I figured I might have issues with flower/ gluten in the mash; I mixed until my arms hurt; nada
When to start re-cycling and clearing the liquids is a question that comes to mind, at the rest or sooner?
Is the filter hole /hose too small (1/4” copper) for proper flow, Should the drop in buckets be greater that 2’?

Looking for some guidance and advice please

JT

I think that  the minimum size tubing should be 1/2" from the info I have acquired.  Keep us posted!

By 1/4in copper I assume you mean OD.  Ypu would need 1/4 ID minimum.  A single kernal of grain could really slow you down.  

Fred

Thanks, I will re-design the mash filter and hoses and see what happens  ;D

JT

You might also want to consider using a mash pad (on top of your dome/false bottom).  Homebrew.com sells them.  They are cheap and you can then probably get away with your 1/4" copper tubing.

Back