• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BrewSmith2/ProMash

Rusty Nails

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I use both BeerSmith2 and ProMash.
BeerSmith, overall, is a great program, and I use it as my basic work horse. I converted from an earlier version.
I prefer the recipe printing in ProMash. The Grains, Hops, Misc, Yeast are all separated into different areas, and can be sorted separately. I find that with BeerSmith, no matter how I sort, I can end up with grains listed among hops, etc.
With ProMash, from a recipe I can edit grains in ounces. This is handy. In BeerSmith, I edit grains in pounds, so I have to dig out a calculator.
BeerSmith displays and prints Grains in ounces. Real handy. ProMash displays and prints in pounds. Once again with the calculator.
The database in ProMash is easier to use, but that is because I have spent years adjusting it to my needs. BeerSmith is also adjustable, and I am adjusting the entries to make it easier on me.
ProMash allows a more detailed entry on hops, so I don't have to check my notes if I want more info.
BeerSmith offers a better selection of reports. The brewsheet is one of the main reasons I use it.
Overall, I enjoy BeerSmith and it is an excellent tool. Keep up the good work.

Hi,
  Thanks for the feedback - it is appreciated.

- You can actually create custom templates that print the grains, hops and misc in separate areas (see the competition report for a sample of this)
  - You can enter lbs and ounces - for example if you type "5 lb 4 oz" in any field while adding something it will convert it over to pounds for you.  This actually works with any field - type the units after the field and the program will convert it - examples include "24 C" for temperature, "5 kg" for weight, etc...
  - Hopefully you have seen the "add-ons" which offer a lot of additional grains, ingredients and recipes - and also we'll be adding more shortly.

Brad

Back