• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problems Installing or Running the program?

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
If you are having problems installing or running BeerSmith:

- Please download the latest installer from our download page - including those who have already ordered an activation key.

On the Macintosh:

- You do need version 10.5 (Leopard) or higher on an intel platform to run (i.e. NO power PC)
- If you are running either Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard 32 bit you must download the 32 bit Mac version (not the 64 bit one)
  - If you are having trouble opening the compressed DMG file on the download page, please try the uncompressed one
- Open the DMG file, then drag the BeerSmith icon into the Applications folder link displayed to install
- Run the program from your Applications folder, and click on the button to activate it if you have purchase a registration key

For Windows/PC
- Download the PC installer from our download page
- Run the BeerSmith2_Installer.exe to install the program
- If you get an error under Windows XP when you run the program (SP3 recommended), please try downloading and installing
    the visual C++ runtime found here and then run it again
  - Once you have the program running, use the activate button to enter your registration key if you have purchased one

For Linux:
  - Please see this Linux FAQ.
  - I have started beta testing on a native Linux app

Cheers,
Brad

Hi, I'm having a problem getting BS20.40 on one of my computers. It is running XP SP3 and it was giving my the same error that I read that says:
“This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.”

I was a little unsure, as the unit is running SP3, so I installed visual c++ as suggested below and now, on the +side I get a different error, but it still doesn't run. The error that I get is a "wxWidgets Fatal Error" that says:
"This program uses Unicode and requires WindowsNT/2000/XP."
Any thoughts.

ps The software's great, may take me a bit to get used to all the "new cool" stuff in version 20 but I'm looking forward to it/them.

Thanks,
tg

Strange,
I've not seen that one before - the program does use Unicode, but I believe XP has that support in it.  Are you sure you have your XP version of Windows fully up to date with the latest patches?

Brad

I double checked that all the patches are upto date and reinstalled Visual C++ and BS 20.40. Still the same error.

Beersmith 2 v40 will not open on my machine.  I had no problems with the initial version and I just go to updating to v40.  Every time I try to open the program I get the following error code.

BeerSmth2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If click the more information about this error button I get this message:

Error Signature

AppName: beersmith2.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName msvcr90.dll
ModeVer: 9.0.30729.4148  Offset: 000369d0

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3 with recommended the C++ add-in installed.

Hi,
I have no idea why it would run into an error - I tested it here on 3 XP machines and hundreds more are also running OK with build 40.

I can offer the following suggestion - try renaming your "Documents/BeerSmith2" directory to something else (don't delete it - just rename it) and then run the new version.  This will essentially do a clean install and should come up with a new set of default data in your documents directory.  If this works, you can then go back and open the Recipes.bsmx and other files as needed to copy/paste your data in.

I really don't know why this would occur.

Brad

Can I just add I had the same error on a XP Home Edition machine. I installed the C++ 2010 Redistributable and it did not work, so maybe for the other people they did not install the 2008 version. When I installed the 2010 the error message did not go away, but once I installed the version Brad lists here, BS2 opened fine for me. So make sure you are installing the right version as suggested. What I was thinking was that the 2010 version would be backwards compatable with 2008, which I was obviously wrong about.

Just about to buy the full program and I get this also on my laptop, windows xp sp3, etc...  tried the c++ and still no go... bummer

the application has failed to start because the app congif is incorrect.  reinstalling the app may fix...

tried reinstalling, changing dir name... still nothing

Correction...  the c++ looked like it works, it doesnt give me the error, the splash screen pops up and then freezes...  this is most likely not beersmith, I think it may be some other stuff going on on this pc....  desktop is fine... great software...  could use that timer soon.  :)

I'm trying to run BS Version 2 on a Windows XP Laptop, and I keep getting these error messages:

error3choosedirectory.jpg

These are all the folders in the Beersmith directory (I tried adding a Documents/BeerSmith2 folder but that didn't work???):

error4directoryavailable.jpg

Once I choose a folder, I get this message:

error1message.jpg

...and then this message after the initial beersmith greeting page:

Error2message.jpg

...and then it does nothing after that. I cna't even open the program and I already paid the activation fee? I definitely should have done the trial prior to paying, but I liked the first version so much, I thought what could be the problem right?

Very frustrated...

I've tried uninstalling everything, and then installing it again, and I still the same errors and the program won't start???

Hi,
  It looks like it can't find your Documents directory. 

- Create a new BeerSmith data directory somewhere on your hard drive (ideally under your Documents directory)
  - Try starting the program and use the "Change Documents Directory" to point to the directory you just created
  - This should solve your problem...

Brad

Yesterday, software worked fine. Today, it doesn't get beyond the splash screen and gives the following error:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: BeerSmith2.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 4e036acc
  Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll
  Fault Module Version: 9.0.30729.4940
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4ca2ef57
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 0003ae7a
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I'm on Win 7 Home Premium SP 1

Hi Brad,
Thanks for the great software.  It's up and running fine on my desktop but having trouble with my laptop.  I'm having the exact same trouble as stblindtiger in the post above.  I'm sure it's related to the fact that it's my work laptop and it's setup for "My Documents" on the network.  I'm at home and trying to set it up.  I'm full admin on the machine so it's not a permissions issue.  I've tried multiple locations in the "Browse For Folder" window such as Desktop, \Program Files\BeerSmith2, C:\.  It doesn't seem to accept the new folder and is still looking for the network location.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

What I saw of the new version looks great!  However, after successfully running the trial a couple of times, it no longer opens.  I get:

wxWidgets Debug Alert
..\wx\include\wx/dynarray.h(833): assert "uiIndex < m_nCount" failed in wxBaseArrayint::item().

Call stack:
[00] free

Then an option to stop, continue or cancel, all of which result in the program not opening.

I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop.  I have no idea what this message means.

Thanks!

HomebrewMTB said:
Hi Brad,
Thanks for the great software.  It's up and running fine on my desktop but having trouble with my laptop.  I'm having the exact same trouble as stblindtiger in the post above.  I'm sure it's related to the fact that it's my work laptop and it's setup for "My Documents" on the network.  I'm at home and trying to set it up.  I'm full admin on the machine so it's not a permissions issue.  I've tried multiple locations in the "Browse For Folder" window such as Desktop, \Program Files\BeerSmith2, C:\.  It doesn't seem to accept the new folder and is still looking for the network location.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

I tried it again at work on the network and was able to resolve this issue.  However, there is still an bug since it loaded to the default location no matter what alternative location is given.

Putting a new laptop online tonight, how do I get my recipies off the trial version and onto the paid copy on my new computer? Have been holding off on buying as I knew my old system needed to be replaced.

Hi,
  Everything is in the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory by default (all of your data) - so if you copy that over to the same location on your new computer everything should come over with it.

Brad

Hi there,
New to BeerSmith - looks great.
Problems getting it to run properly:
I have set up my equipment, loaded a recipe and then gone to print the brew steps.
I am getting this come up quite a bit:
"Cannot find 'file:////H://BeerSmith2/bsxtmp_5433.htm. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."

I have reinstalled, to no avail.

When i open brew steps I get a blank report.

Help please!!

Hi,
  It looks like it is pointing to a bad documents directory - some people have had this problem when their user directory is on a network/unusual drive.

I recommend creating a directory called BeerSmith2 under a location you regularly use (such as your main Documents directory).  Then use the "Change Documents Directory" command on the File menu to move your documents directory there.

This should resolve your problem.

Brad

Just download and paid for this program. When I have the trial version it worked fine, just after paying for it I get the following. " Beersmith2.exe has stopped working..a problem has been caused and windows will close the program. I  am using Vista. I re downloaded 3 times, changed the name, I have no clue what the issue is.

Back